Search

Going from FE to Nitro: question on fuel to purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Going from FE to Nitro: question on fuel to purchase

Ran a aquacraft UL-1 hydro for 100+ runs here at our San Diego boat pond. Sold it and have a Aquacraft Top Speed 3 with a K&B 3.5cc outboard on its way, along with fresh radio gear. Last thing i need to purchase is some nitro. Also fly and have good experience with nitro motors and such.

Question here is: can i go to hobby people and buy some 30% for car? or should i order marine specific such as the Aquacraft Grimracer 30%?

appreciate it. thanks,
harry
Old 08-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

I think car fuel will work.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

No! Sorry to be so blunt but please, run only fuel made for boats.
The GrimRacer line of fuels are made for boats and easy to get through Tower Hobbies or a good hobby shop. This stuff is made for racing and I know a lot of people who use it and swear by it. The little K&B 3.5's love the nitro so 45% or higher is great for racing but if you're just messing around I wouldn't go lower than 30-35%. Boat fuel has a higher oil content than car fuel as we're cranking out higher RPM for a longer time. Many will also have a mixture of castor and synthetic oils for better burn and protection, most times in the 20% range. Heli fuel can be used in a pinch but avoid the car and plane fuels!
Check around with local boaters if you know of any and see where they're getting their fuel at as there may be someone more local that mixes up fuel. O'Donnell fuels might be close to your side of the country. I have a suspicion that they make Grimmie's fuel.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
No! Sorry to be so blunt but please, run only fuel made for boats.
The GrimRacer line of fuels are made for boats and easy to get through Tower Hobbies or a good hobby shop. This stuff is made for racing and I know a lot of people who use it and swear by it. The little K&B 3.5's love the nitro so 45% or higher is great for racing but if you're just messing around I wouldn't go lower than 30-35%. Boat fuel has a higher oil content than car fuel as we're cranking out higher RPM for a longer time. Many will also have a mixture of castor and synthetic oils for better burn and protection, most times in the 20% range. Heli fuel can be used in a pinch but avoid the car and plane fuels!
Check around with local boaters if you know of any and see where they're getting their fuel at as there may be someone more local that mixes up fuel. O'Donnell fuels might be close to your side of the country. I have a suspicion that they make Grimmie's fuel.
exactly the info i was looking for and thank you for your time. our 3 local hobby shops only carry car, heli, plane... surprising to me since we have a beautiful rc boat pond that holds events here as well. Will order the Grimracer fuel. maybe some 30 and 50% crazy that it comes in quarts and that the gallon is only by a 4-gallon order.

thanks Ron!
-Harry
Old 08-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

most of the fast boat guys run Gas Pro Boats with Zenoah style motors at this pond. I have yet to actually see a 3.5cc ... one guy has a rigger with a 3.5; gosh that thing rips!
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Tech Addict

Nitro shipments are games. Buy all the quarts you want and there are no Haz-Mat fees but it's a lot more expensive by the quart. Gallons are cheaper per ounce or whatever yet you have to pay the Haz-Mat fees. They seem to stab you somehow either way.
Yeah, the .21/3.5 'riggers haul! Heat racing speeds are now in the 70's and 80's aren't unheard of racing 6 at a time.
I've still got some nitro burners in the shop but have moved to gas boats. They're easier for us old guys to work on and see on the water! I've had my share of .21 OB tunnels in my time though. There's just something about them that still holds a place in my heart.