Search

Retreival boat I made

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Retreival boat I made

Figure since there is a section here I could post this up. I know there is some cross members between forums but this is for those who have not seen it.

Here is a retrieval boat I made to pick up our boats at the pond. Our buddy got tired of rowing after mostly his boat and sometimes ours. So with a little bit of backyard ingenuity the retrieval boat was born. Currently building another one to do all of your boats including a Rio51z, call it a proto-type or proof of concept. So far it runs for 24 mins straight on a 2200mah 3 cell lipo at 7 mph and has hauled a completely sub'd Miss Vegas at 15 lbs.

45 turn crawler motor, traxxas esc, crawelr ebay servo hacked as a winch 208 oz, Miss Vegas Shaft and prop, home made collet and drive stuffing tube (brass), 1/2" PVC, airplane tricycle front landing gear for rudder (shaft and horn) welded to a shaped piece of flat steal, and what nots.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by vette66_00; 02-23-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

That is a great idea! Looks like it works a lot better then rowing after it.

Almost makes getting that nice boat that just sunk fun I bet lol
Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

that's a pretty nice setup
Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by izcain
That is a great idea! Looks like it works a lot better then rowing after it.

Almost makes getting that nice boat that just sunk fun I bet lol

Haha its never fun to dunk it or have a flame out but this does almost make it bearable. At least you can harass the guy that has a boat floating from the shore, instead of watching him row out to awkwardly row it back in being careful not to damage the raft while bring it back in.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hey Vette you wouldn't by chance be a part of the Camarillo pond rats would you?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

That is really cool! Great engineering. What is the screening/netting material and how is it attached?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Awesome
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 AM
G T
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I need one of those. Im tired of swimming for mine. With it, it would take that unnerving "whats going to happen this time" feeling away letting u enjoy a day at the pond. Any plans on passing on the plans for this?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by izcain
Hey Vette you wouldn't by chance be a part of the Camarillo pond rats would you?
No sorry out of Fresno, Ca we play on a private pond owned by the city (LOL)

Originally Posted by rice_man
That is really cool! Great engineering. What is the screening/netting material and how is it attached?
Its attached in the back with fishing line for now, and up front its attached to the aluminum pole with fishing string and epoxy. Its window screen.

Originally Posted by G T
I need one of those. Im tired of swimming for mine. With it, it would take that unnerving "whats going to happen this time" feeling away letting u enjoy a day at the pond. Any plans on passing on the plans for this?
A few bugs to work out still but its really easy to make if you have the parts. Its just 1/2" PVC 20' wide and 36" long with foam noddle split to cover the skids. The Winch is just like they make for crawlers with a thread spool screwed to the horn.

We felt the same way after having a couple boats that just did not like to keep running and a buddy that was doing most of the rowing (I am fat and go in circles in a canoe cause I don't know what I am doing). This was born.

On a side note after this was made our boats seem to be running a ton better, last time out we did not use it once. LOL