Wiki Posts
Search

Rio 51Z that will not turn left

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Rio 51Z that will not turn left

Ok guys here is the same old problem. I have a 51Z with a slightly mod plum 26 IE racing dry pipe and carb. When I run my three bladed prop she will not turn left with backing almost all the way out of the throttle. its not as bad with my stock two blade but the speed is almost 1o mph slower. what's the fix? dual rudder,? longer rudder? or a bunch of C4. Any suggestions on where I can find what I'm looking for? So far its been all stock stuff.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Tech Addict

OK, the C-4 is tempting but a little hard to score!
Now I've got to ask possibly the most obvious question to me, are the props sharp (and balanced)? Dull props can give you fits when trying to make lefts. What happens is that they'll give you a paddlewheel effect making the boat want to turn right even when attempting to turn the other way. The rudder is being pulled when making lefts so that eliminates bending in the pushrod which can happen when turning right. Does the boat go straight under normal circumstances?
The hull comes with both left and right turn fins so no problem there.
Most boats don't turn as well to the left as it's their nature. My mono will hop when trying lefts.
Make sure that you're getting maximum steering throw by checking the EPA's on the transmitter and/or Dual-Rate.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Photo's of the rear of the boat ?
How long is the rudder and where is it located
Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

sounds like exactly the same problem i have with my boat, im going to try build a left turn fin into and additional rudder and see how that works

other than that the only advice i can give is a little left outside trim tab down a bit but be careful of the boat suddenly hooking
Old 11-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

Remember the boat is fighting the prop rotation and most gases and nitro's use a pretty large prop compared to FE , try to stick to a right hand turning course, or just get into the habbit of racing clockwise. Apart from this a good deep rudder is your best chance
Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Here are the pictures of the back end. Does anyone know if the blade props are really faster compared to a well tuned two blade? And yes the Prop I'm running now has been balanced and sharpened. Ok well pictures will not up load so the back end is standard for the rio 51Z I have not changed anything but the prop.

Last edited by Medicman202; 11-14-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: pictures will not upload
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Pix didn't come up, you need a space between the links or something....
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

I DONT KNOW MAYBE IT'S A MAC THING???? But the pics will not load however the rudder is 6" with a 5" stand off that puts it just between the hull and the prop on the right hand side.

Anyone now the trick to uploading let me know??????
Old 11-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Upload you photos to Photobucket.com and insert the links here. The easiest and you can keep track of all of your photos.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Tech Addict

Scroll down under the reply box and click on "Manage attachments". From there a box will pop up and allow you to upload pix from your computer.
Click on "Browse" to find what you want us to see, then "Upload". Wait for the shot to appear at the bottom, close the box and hit the "Submit reply" button.
For You Tube videos, click on the "You Tube" button and paste the link in between the "]["'s.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

He only has 7 posts i dont think he can upload yet
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Addict

I don't count the number of posting a member has. A lot of these RC forums sites are all about the same as far as posting pictures and videos go. This is only number 21 for me in here but on another site I'm coming up on 17,000. Yeah, that's a lot but I'm still learning something new every day.
Usually these Rio 51z's have bigger issues than not being able to turn to the left. Loose engine rails and bad flex cables are the big two. Mostly on this I'm thinking that it's just the nature of the beast as most RC boats aren't known for making good left turns.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hmmm that's weird if you watch this Rio from this weekend it seems to do right and left just fine. New motor running super rich so not alot of speed.

PICs here or at www.jrcbd.com is going to be you best bet. Most of these guys can look at pictures and tell you what to try to fix the problem.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Initiate

heres one pic that would upload
Attached Thumbnails Rio 51Z that will not turn left-img_0976.jpg  
Old 11-19-2011, 03:09 AM
Tech Master

rudder seems adequate but not sure about the turn fin positions. Larger cav plates wouldn't be missed either.