Search

New Style Traxxas Spartan review with video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New Style Traxxas Spartan review with video

Well the review is just written plus 2 videos.

I know the first gen of these had there issues and some people have had issue with the new ones also.

Round 1
We had the first NEW gen blow the motor and speed control after a 5 min 4 cell (2-2 cells) run. Took it back to Hobby Clown and found out the motor shaft would move 1/2" causing it to bind on acceleration. Trashed 2 new 2 cell lipos (no refund cause there hobby parts batterys) but this is the second boat we have brought back for a defect of one kind or another (last one was our fault I think and a different brand). So I think we are good on the $40.

Round 2
Out of the box looks good checks out good (motor check no slop), dry run up checks out. Off into the water she goes.

2 2cell lipos 5000mah about 10 mins of run time, 34.7 mph GPS.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Good run did a couple runs on sets of 2 cells. Next was bring it in check and re-lube drive shaft (no motor play this time yah). Everything check out. ESC and Motor just warm, temp check says 100.2f deg thats cold for a motor.

Ok so on to 2 3cell lipos 5000 mah 10 mins of run time but 56.3 mph GPS. Might have got a turtle (2:37) also but no boat damage to the boat and no sign of turtle.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Checked boat, motor is 156f deg and a 56.3 mph gps run. Not bad for an all stock boat sub $500. Better prop and some castle speed control tuning we could be in the 60's.

So overall a great boat if your looking for a RTR boat that will do 50+ on 6 cells, could also skip turtles, and you have $439.99 (Tower price) to spend on one. Personally I'd buy local it helped out even though it was $449.99 + tax, and it supports our local shop to, also since we had an issue and it was taken care of in 5 mins.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

10 minutes of runtime? Thats hard to believe on either voltage you ran. The new motor is a higher kv of aporoximately 1800. Thats high rpm, especially on 6s in a single drive boat. Im not nagging you, but the voltage, kv, mAh and runtime dont doesnt make sense. Its actually backwards. It is nice to see someone is finally getting to have fun with a stock RTR boat from Traxxas. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

The high speed runs where only for the camera and where for the last 3-4 mins. In fact these are just chops of 9 mins of each video. Are you saying we should be getting less time or more time?
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Im gettin my new Outlaw JR tomarrow and it gets about 5 mins with a 2200mAh 25c pack. According to Hobbieco. Gess they go quick in boats
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Team Tekin

I wondered if the Spartan I got was a 2nd gen or something, the hull looks different and the electronics are different.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
I wondered if the Spartan I got was a 2nd gen or something, the hull looks different and the electronics are different.
If you have different electronics and the hull is a little different you probably have the 1st gen.
I know that traxxas will give you a new motor and esc if yours fails.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Team Tekin

I noticed that the first early ones the bow dipped a bit, mine doesn't and the graphics are slightly different. It also has the VXL-6S built by Castle and the 1800kV motor. Pretty sure it is the new one but either way, that ESC/motor combo will be coming out for some testing...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vette66_00
The high speed runs where only for the camera and where for the last 3-4 mins. In fact these are just chops of 9 mins of each video. Are you saying we should be getting less time or more time?
Less time. Even if running 10,000mAH, you wouldnt get that much time. Its a high kv with a higher voltage. In order to get long run times, you ll need HV and a low kv. Boats generally run 2-6 minutes before LV kicks in. The prop factors in too. If you start pushing the limits with a prop chasing speed runtime will decrease.
I had a 32" cat that ran 81mph on 4s, but got only 1.5 minutes of runtime out of it. Had big props and was a high rpm set up (41,440rpm). It was a SAW boat, so runtime wasnt a concern. Smaller props got more runtime because the batteries werent being strained and drained by the high amp draw as the bigger props did. Just an example. If you try to run your Spartan set up for 10 minutes with even a moderate prop, say an X442 or X445, you ll burn the electronics up.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by LarrysDrifter
Less time. Even if running 10,000mAH, you wouldnt get that much time. Its a high kv with a higher voltage. In order to get long run times, you ll need HV and a low kv. Boats generally run 2-6 minutes before LV kicks in. The prop factors in too. If you start pushing the limits with a prop chasing speed runtime will decrease.
I had a 32" cat that ran 81mph on 4s, but got only 1.5 minutes of runtime out of it. Had big props and was a high rpm set up (41,440rpm). It was a SAW boat, so runtime wasnt a concern. Smaller props got more runtime because the batteries werent being strained and drained by the high amp draw as the bigger props did. Just an example. If you try to run your Spartan set up for 10 minutes with even a moderate prop, say an X442 or X445, you ll burn the electronics up.
My Venom P1 (all stock) runs about 32mph and I get about 12 minutes of runtime out of a 4S 5200 setup. Granted it's not WOT the whole time but even when I did that I got about 8 minutes on flat water.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I know this is a older thread but I get 5 to 10 mins out of my spartan depending on how I drive it??? And get 51.?? bone stock!! Its a really fun boat!! Even though its my first one
Old 07-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

great boat