Wiki Posts
Search

speed and water getting in.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default speed and water getting in.

Hey guys i just got a shovel nose hydro plane and its 600mm long would my 9t brushless and 40amp speed controler go good? what speeds would it do? also when it sits there it gets a bit of water in back where steering arm goes through. will that stop when its on the plane? thanks

Alex
Old 09-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Adept

anyone?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

How much KV is the motor and how many lipo's and what prop are you running?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 PM
Tech Adept

its 9t so around 3750 and nimh for now. and prop is plastic haha
Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Tech Elite

How many cells 6, 7,8, 12? If you're running a 9t car motor be sure to have it watercooled. As for your prop I suggest you start ( if you are a small 35mm prop) with a smaller prop otherwise it the esc and motor will burnout.
As for the speed it is difficult to say, it depends on size and pitch of the prop. For example you can have a 2 blade of 35mm with a pitch of 40 but you can also have a prop of 35mm in diamter but with a pitch of 50mm. The prop with a pitch of 50mm needs a slower revving motor otherwise the prop will cavitate in the water and the hydro won't move it all. Also the depth of the prop is important. If you submerged the prop totally the hydro will not plane at all but if set the strut in line with the transom the prop will be half in the water in half out the water which is good since we use surface drive props. Don't set it too high otherwise it will only revv in the air and you loose speed.
I recommend you to buy the basics of fast electrics from Airage publishers. It is available through they shop and gives you the basics of electric powerboats. www.airage.com
As for your speed: if you have a cellphone with android search for the app speedview in Market download for free and you can measure your exact speed by putting your cellphone in a bag in your hydro. I estimate it runs around 35mph.

Now as for the water in the hull. Replace the rubberboots or put a tie-wrap around it because you rubber steering boot is leaking.