R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating

Old 08-30-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default help with boat running hardware

I recently bought a 54" hull without any running hardware. Can anyone tell me what size running hardware to use on the 54" boat with a 14" beam. or if you can send me some links to the hardware you would use on it. here is a pic of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
help with boat running hardware-p1010040.jpg  
fisch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

How fast do you want it? Do you care how loud it is? Are you going Nitro or Electric? How long do you want the battery to last? How long do you want to use it before overhaul? Do you want it pretty agile or just straight line speed?
MR2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks for your reply.

I had a shockwave 55 about 5 yrs ago, so I want to go somewhere along those lines. I am looking at putting in a Zenoah engine, proablly a G26. Just wondering what size rudder and drive shaft to install I found these on Ebay. Do you think they would work?

here is the item # 320465454580

Is there a standard size for a 54" boat?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

I really don't have much experience with gas but have a medium size hull Deep V EP (Kyosho Jet Stream 800). If your hull is fiberglass it will be easy mount a gas engine but if its thinner ABS you might be limited to Ep untill you build up the motor mounts with fiberglass reinforcements. If your going for stability I would suggest trim tabs, stability tabs, and a larger type rudder. Deep V's usually like to be rear slick. Meaning without a deep rudder and higher turn radius you can slip/turn out or over very easy. Play it safe with a long out drive also as you can always go shorter later but if you are too powerful you are just asking to sink her. This will increase drag but finding a happy medium is all that hobbyist do and if you want someone to tell you exactly what they did You might find another method you like better in R&D. I personally hate it when EP's are as loud or louder than gas. The reason for this is the flex shaft most new boats use and plastic u joints. If you take the time and set up a solid shaft drive, metal UJoints and brass bushings it will sound so much better and keep vibrations down. ProBoat still makes them but I don't know if any are long enough for your boat if you want to keep the weight centered without batt packs but longer heavier gauge wire will be needed for the size of your hull.

I also would test things out in a pool or somewhere you are willing to get to it fast if things go south.

I personally am not looking for speed as big Deep V boats have a tough time plaining and you are fighting weight to power but they can really cut the chop and look a lot more like a real boat than the RC Catermerans.

I really don't think the Ebay route is the best way to go but it looks like a nice kit. But if it is too heavy or makes too much drag the expense to replace/delete parts. The 40.00 shipping is what I am looking at more than anything. It's a good deal at $40.00 but 40.00 to ship less than 1 pound in parts c'mon!!!

Good luck on it and try and find a local hobby shop that has a lot of marine parts on hand to get a feel for what size you need by bringing your boat in and test fitting. Most online shops will not take refunds and tack on shipping which out ways tax on little parts but if you find free shipping and are pretty sure you can use the part go for it Good Luck and let us know how things work out.
MR2NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Default Help with boat running hardware

This looks like a good one for gas power, 36 to 42 cc. with 1/4" or 5mm flex shaft, 4" prop, 4-5" offset rudder w/ water pickup.
What sort of mounting rails are in it ?
Jsutherland8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default GAS BOAT HARDWARE

I recently aquired a CNC milling machine and I intend to make a complete line of hardware for GAS boats. I started making hardware a couple of days ago, and I will continue until I have a full line for monos, cats, hydros, riggers cracker boxes, thunderboats and jersey speed skiffs.

I will have the hardware line for monos completed by the end of September.

I have T-bars in process now, outdrives will begin production by the end of next week. That followed by rudder assemblies with internal plumbing.

I will post pictures on the manufacturers page as products are completed and ready for sale. I can't do it till then because if it ain't on the shelf, I can't sell it.
Steve Seebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Default help with boat running hardware

Check out Ebay.......I got some nice stuff for gas boats off a co. called "Top Secret Boats", see if you can find them on the net.
The electric BL boat comes with all hardware, Rudder, Trim Tabs, Cutter Fins, WC ESC, and WC BL motor, no Battery, RX, TX, or servo.
Attached Thumbnails
help with boat running hardware-red2bc.jpg   help with boat running hardware-red2src.jpg  
Jsutherland8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Here's a pic of the inside of the boat.

Steve, what kind of prices are you looking at having for the running gear?
This is gonna be a winter project so I'm not in a big hurry.

Steve, whats the differewnce between some of the shafts that come out the back of the boat and ones that come out under the boat? Which would I want for my boat? Thanks for any help, I'm pretty new to boats, mostly into SC trucks. new hobby wife doesn't like
Attached Thumbnails
help with boat running hardware-p1010037.jpg  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Any one have a manual for a kyosho jet stream 800 s
Whitneyraceing is offline   Reply With Quote