Search

newbie question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:14 AM
MFX
Tech Rookie

Default newbie question

I wanted to get a boat for fun something like the traxxas titan, but 1 of my biggest concerns is....what happens if it tips over in the middle of the lake? Is there a way to get a tip over boat to get back on its right side? Are they built to automatically flip back over?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MFX
I wanted to get a boat for fun something like the traxxas titan, but 1 of my biggest concerns is....what happens if it tips over in the middle of the lake? Is there a way to get a tip over boat to get back on its right side? Are they built to automatically flip back over?
If your hull is tall enough (in relation to it's width), and the C/G is low enough, it will self right.

Some very flat race hulls have holes and water vents that allow 1 side to sink, then drain when it takes off again. Pretty clever.

I am getting ready to put together my first boat, but first I think I'll built a recovery boat. Looking for design tips atm.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

A recovery boat nothing specail ir a fishing pole with a tennis ball works well to
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM
MFX
Tech Rookie

interesting. do you guys know if the Traxxas Titan has anything to auto-recover of if the design of it will let it do that? I'd be pissed to be able to get my boat back
Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

I can't say for a fact, but the Titan sure looks like it would roll back over. I really like the integrated/removable drivetrain it has.

I'm going to be running on a river, and I don't get around well, so I'm as worried as you are about losing a boat.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ekd
I can't say for a fact, but the Titan sure looks like it would roll back over. I really like the integrated/removable drivetrain it has.

I'm going to be running on a river, and I don't get around well, so I'm as worried as you are about losing a boat.
A mono would suit best for you on a river. Don't know how calm it is but a hydro or cat would jump too much since they need flat water to run smoothly.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:28 PM
ekd
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
A mono would suit best for you on a river. Don't know how calm it is but a hydro or cat would jump too much since they need flat water to run smoothly.
It's pretty calm, but not enough for anything but a mono, if the vids I've seen mean anything.

Unless... a good sized outrigger?

Saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA3y_...eature=related

I have been looking into boating for a while, mostly for the fun of building one. This made me want to go fast. Just the noise, to this electric guy, is pretty sweet.