R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating

Old 12-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default New to RC Boats, thinking of getting a Shockwave 26

Hi,
As said I am new to rc boats, NOT RC in general, and I would like to get my first. I have recently moved to the Dominican Republic and have a large pond near my house as well as going to the beach on weekends! I have been looking around and am especially interested in the ProBoat Shockwave 26 BL RTR, I want electric FOR SURE and BL. IS this a decent boat to start? I have heard of prop breaking issues but in theory that has been corrected with a metal prop now, correct? Anything I should look out for?
Now for the real noob question, how do you get ur boat back if ur battery dies or ESC fries or whatever!!!?? How do LIPO cutoffs work in boats? Does it cut and give you enough power to get back to shore? Will running on the beach be a problem? I know I cant do speed runs with waves and such and I should wipe it down with fresh water after running, anything else to look out for?
Thanks guys!
Nesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I can't answer all of your questions, but I think I can help with a few. First I will say that when I got into boats someone told me to check out http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/ They helped me out a lot with the questions that I had.

Whenever I run my boats I take a fishing pole with me with a big bobber on the end of the line. I have fished many of boats out of the pond with it. It is a lot better than waiting on the wind to push it to shore (I have gone that route as well). I also now have a recovery boat. It's a cheap boat that I picked up for $50 and I use it to go and push my boats back in when they die in the water.

If your going to run in salt water it is a good idea to wipe everything down and run fresh water through the cooling system of the boat so that there is no salt sitting in anything. Salt will cause rust/corrosion if you let it sit on or in anything for a period of time.

I'm not sure if the shockwave has gone to a metal prop, but if so that should fix the prop issues if there were any. I have had bad luck with plastic props, but the metal ones have done fine for me.

My first electric boat was a proboat formula fastech. It was a great boat and I never had any problems out of it except for breaking a few plastic props. I think of the boats I have owned it was the best one for a beginner because it handled really well.
blazerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Thanks for the answers! Do you know if I can run 7 cell NIMH in the stock ESC? I looked at the FasTech and dont like it as much as the Shockwave since it doesnt come with 2.4 however it does have a 45A ESC vs the 30A on the shockwave. I have no problem upgrading the ESC down the line...what would be a good replacement? I still want 1 Lipo pack.
I just want a decent boat I can plug in and play with that has decent speed, BL, Lipo and 2.4 Ghz. I wont be doing anything crazy with it just want to have some fun occasionally. Im very into Rc cars and bash and race whenever I can so this would be to have for when we go to the beach or down to the pond with our dog for example!
Nesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I had a shockwave, and really liked it, you flip a switch to go from regular battereis to lipos, its a great boat and prety fast, I did fun a seven cell in mine but the packs did get really warm, I am still using the 2.4 system in my other boat. Just make sure you tape your hatch, I also glued some foam to the hatch and radio box cover becasue they can come off and they will sink. It had pretty good get up and go for a single cell boat.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

hi

this boat also good for beginner and it includes batteries and tx 2.4ghz too

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-5708-B-S...item5ade2f52e1
Delta Force copy 41" mono
HPR115 Triple X
Mel279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 03:56 PM   #6

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

also like 200 more and you need 2 battereis at once
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Proboat claims that the stock esc can handle up to 12.5V. A seven cell should be fine in it. Just keep an eye on your temps so that nothing gets too hot. A good upgrade from that esc would be an Aquacraft UL-1 esc. It's a 60amp. There are plenty of other good upgrades as well, just depends on what you would want to spend really.
blazerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:20 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to chewiefttc4 Send a message via Yahoo to chewiefttc4

grab this
32 inch ELECTRIC CATAMRAN

250 shipped with two 5000 mah 2s batterys. 270 with jr xs3 radio.
chewiefttc4 is offline   Reply With Quote