Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Remeber the old Sear Lobo Fan Boats - It's Brushless

The short story:
Installed a Mamba Maxx w/ 12s Feigoa in a Sear Lobo Fan boat. Ran it on 12s

The long story:

Not too long ago on a hot summer day in the Pacifica Northwest……. There I was sitting on the couch flipping through my four channels when I glanced up on the shelf and saw the Green Lobo Fan boat staring back at me. What the heck I figured, I grabbed it and loaded it with a battery and headed to the creek for some fun in the sun. I’ve never had it out in the vast open waters like this. Bathtubs you really can’t open the throttle up on them and really since I got it the most action it has seen was as a fan on my desk in the garage. The Lobo tried but it could barely make its way back up creeks current. Let me just say that the current isn’t that strong. If you stood real still and watched. You could then see the current hauling something slowly down stream to the Pacific Ocean (approx. 370 miles). A little disappointed but I was willing to let it go and hit the couch again. That was until the laughter. I was not sure if the laughing from across and down stream was directed at me and my thong in the cold water or the boat that once was on every young boy’s Christmas list. Well heck with them, the hair on my back started to flutter in the wind and I figured I got thirty years on those wiper snappers. I was going to show them. I grabbed my stroller and started on the near impossible trek out of the canyon. Okay, not using a stroller yet and it was a small slope back to the road. When I got back home I started my frantic search for another brushed motor that I could run on the 12v battery out of the 65 Mustang. Fast as all get up it would be.......

As luck would have it no such brushed motor could be found in my junk drawers. A blessing one wasn’t found. How was I going to get the Mustangs battery to stay a float let alone fit into the Lobo? My attention suddenly focused on an un-expecting Feigoa 12s brushless motors sitting on the work bench. Not wanting the unrespecting juvenile delinquents to leave before the lesson was taught. I rushed to removing all the old electronics from the Lobo. Like an auto mechanic, bent into the engine well of a car. Out came flying parts, a servo, mechanical speed controller, and radio receiver. Okay, slight exaggeration of them flying out. The motor was tough to get out. I didn't want to crack any of the plastic on this soon to be updated classic. I was thinking Ford Pinto with a BIG BLOCK in it. I installed the mamba maxx in it, added a fan for cooling, jury rigged a new servo to control the steering blade. The hard part was going to be getting the motor installed. The motors cans were the same size roughly but the 12s was reluctant to go all the way. I pulled it back out gave it a good licking all the way around and slide it back in. About halfway it stopped as if both hand were against the door frame holding itself back. I gave it one more grunt and pop it was in. At that time I knew I was screwed and was going to regret putting it in there when the time came to removed it. It may never be removed. Anyways looooong story short. Took it down to the creek and to my disappointment the little heathens had moved on. Probably went to go and heckle some other respectable member of the community. I ran it on a 3s lipo. I checked the temps a couple of time during the run but let it go all the way until the lvc cutting. I checked the final temp at the end of the run. The motor and Mamba Mix was cooler then a penguins butt (another exaggeration, I don't know how cool one actually is. Leave that to the proctoligist to finger out). The Lobo as you expected did a lot better breaking through the rapids. It's rear end did sit a bit lower in the water but didn’t let any water. Not the cutting edge of boat designs and too powerful for a fan on my desk. It now is sitting back on the shelf. All lime green except for a purple motor it now calls it's owns.
Remeber the old Sear Lobo Fan Boats - It's Brushless-bl-lobo-1.jpg

Remeber the old Sear Lobo Fan Boats - It's Brushless-bl-lobo-2.jpg

Last edited by Geee; 11-13-2010 at 11:45 AM.