R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating

Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default fried my ESC on 3S lipo.. :(

i have a marlin boat, i got from hobby people on sale. its been great on 6cell nimh, but this year i gotta step it up a notch.

i have a really small 2s lipo from a plane, and it did good.. maybe a tad hotter than normal on the nimh. but i was worried about going below lipo cutoff, so i took it easy. it was like a 1000mah.. super small.

i knew going 3s was pushing it.. and it did ok for the most part, just real short burts. well... the ESC fried. i only had forward, no reverse.. so now im in need of a new ESC for the summer.

im trying to keep costs down, since i only have 50 into this boat to begin with.. if anything, i'll go back to the store, and get the oe replacement ECS was 20 bucks, and be sure to only run 2S's.

the site says its a 570 motor. no clue on the anything with electronics.. how much current they draw, what ESC to buy.. so im hoeping someone can help.

here's what my ESC looks like.. lol obviously the heat sink was removed.

here's the boat. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/151175.asp

and the ESC looks like this..

so i don't really want to change the motor.. its not an issue.. its the voltage i was allowing the ESC to push, the battery was too big. i plan on using a 2S 2500 lipo.. its in the mail. i just had a 3s laying around from my starter box.

so what ESC should i choose? hopefully low cost.. 2s reversible.

and what is "BEC", i read it in some of the details in ECS's.. 5-6V BEC? is that the voltage output to servo's? im lost when it comes to DC power. been nitro since day 1.
builtb16a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links