Wiki Posts
Search

Old hand at Nitro R/C looking for a new boat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Old hand at Nitro R/C looking for a new boat

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a Nitro or maybe even brushless electric boat. I'll be running it in a freshwater lake. I'm looking for speed, reliability, good handling. Forgot to add my budget starting out is aroud 500 bucks. I was leaning toward the Pro Boat Miss Budweiser. I've been out of the hobby for Four or five years now. Last thing I had was a Savage 25. Do you guys have any other suggestions or avenues I should check out before I get my feet wet again?

Last edited by EIGHTLUG; 09-17-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:15 PM
DLM

Thumbs up lookig for new boat

Vac-U-Pickle for one. Randy Naylor has a new 27" which moves. DF-26 or 29. Really depends if you want a RTR. Widow-Maker by Horizon at 22", just a few.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

i have a Pro Boat Thundercat 31 RTR "FOR SALE" , it has a dynamite .31 and has less than 5 tanks of 30% ran thru, it is flawless with no hull cracks, defects, or repairs. it has many mods done to it so it's much faster than stock, with spare props.
attched is a link to a video of it; http://s373.photobucket.com/albums/o...ent=rcboat.flv

Last edited by dodgeboy93; 10-02-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Adept

I have to agree with Dodgeboy on the ProBoat ThunderCat 32 being a great starting platform for nitro boats. I too have one, and comes complete ready to go other then batteries for the remote and servos. The stock radio is a little cheesy looking, personally, I did not like it, so I installed a JR RS310 FM receiver, and using my JR Z-1 as a transmitter.

My boat is still box stock, and found it to run fine without any tuning or adjustment, other then ensuring the needle settings were 2 1/2 turns out, and only had to adjust the HSN for top end once broken in. However, I will be doing some work on the motor over the winter.

The only other point of contention, is with the control rods for the rudder and servo - Proboat uses 2-56 threaded ends. I really do not think this is adequate especially on the rudder, and will be parting these out for 4-40 rods and ends.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Nitro racing is great but if you want to go fast: go brushless!