Search

turnfins/trim tabs ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default turnfins/trim tabs ?'s

On my grey thunder it doesn't have trim or turn fins.How do i figure out what size of these i would need?Its about 24" and is a vee fin type boat.Right now in the stock form it is now when i turn it spins out.Will these help?Also i need to get a sealed radio box does any one make them?Where can i find them if they do.Thanks
Old 07-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by texazbadboy
On my grey thunder it doesn't have trim or turn fins.How do i figure out what size of these i would need?Its about 24" and is a vee fin type boat.Right now in the stock form it is now when i turn it spins out.Will these help?Also i need to get a sealed radio box does any one make them?Where can i find them if they do.Thanks
Try Ebay: turnfins: http://toys.shop.ebay.com/items/Toys...=p3286.c0.m282
radio chambers: http://toys.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nk...ox&_osacat=220
Old 08-07-2009, 02:38 PM
DLM

Thumbs up turnfins/trim tabs

Age old question.

Last edited by DLM; 08-11-2009 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Add info which is important.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DLM
Age old question. I'd make my own turn fins and put one on each side of grey and have the height just above the keel in a tear drop shape and slanted back alittle. Now trim tabs is a poor bandage for a poor setup. Now if you want them, fine, just make your own out of .064 aluminuum sheet size 10" x 4" from LHS. Make the 1 1/4" wide and 1 1/4" long and the add 1/2" for the bend. Make the turn fins 90 degrees to the bottom of hull. Make tabs flush with bottom and neutral. They do add drag tho. I have 22" monos with no trim tabs and run with twin turn fins and work great. Trim tabs are for loos. Really long turn fins add drag. I have a No Step 1 with no t/tabs and small turn fins and turns on a dime, not for sale.
Do you have pic's of this set-up that i can use for reference?I'd like to see where the best place to set the turn fins to have the least drag but still function .I really like the winged hull design and looks good skipping across the water just don't like the fish tailing it does.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 AM
DLM

Thumbs up turnfins/tabs

Check back later.

Last edited by DLM; 08-11-2009 at 05:05 AM.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DLM
Check back later. Fishtailing is in the setup.
The fish tailing is because of the steering out drive.Yes set-up does have some to do with it but turn fins will help keep the rear from sliding out in a turn.I know i could get a stinger and new steering fin set-up but i can't afford it right now so i'm just trying to get this thing drivable till i can upgrade to those.