R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Boating

Old 07-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro boats

Are nitro boats hard to use? do youhave to do anything special? what do you need for them? and what is a good fast cheap one?
rc_master93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Nitro boats can be a pain in the *ss. Tuning your boat depends on how many nitro, strut/prop depth, tuned pipe length, right prop and of course temperature. Then the differences in hull varies: a scale hydroplane has different setup than an outrigger hydroplane. A mono hull is also different as is a catamaran.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Tech Adept

A nitro boat will use similar support gear as a car of airplane (glow ignitor, starter (if not equiped w/recoil), fuel (30%+).) Beyond that, all boats need hatch tape to seal the radio box, grease for lubing the drive line, wd-40 & alcohol to help remove water from blind holes and threading and oil to wipe down metal parts to prevent corrosion.

Nitro requires no more gear than an E set-up (just different stuff); but all boats inharently require a good dose of preventative maintenance if you want your gear to last a few years.
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Tech Regular

nitro boats are similar to car but i think the engine needs to be in water so it can circulate water through... or something! i have a brand new open box kyosho sunstorm 1000 RTR! PM me if your interested
LAM3SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM3SAUCE View Post
nitro boats are similar to car but i think the engine needs to be in water so it can circulate water through... or something! i have a brand new open box kyosho sunstorm 1000 RTR! PM me if your interested
HUH? Similar to cars? Engines used in boats are more similar to airplan-engines than in cars! Tuning a carengine is much easier than a boatengine
since they are more sensitive to humanity so they are harder to fine tune. Besides that the length of the tuned pipe increases or decreases rpm which results in richer or leaner needle settings.
RTR boats are easy to use untill you change the stock pipe for a tuned pipe!
Old 07-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Tech Regular

ahh! yes as you guys can see im not much a nitro boat person at all!! more of a car person, so up for any grabs pm me up, anyone!
LAM3SAUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
HUH? Similar to cars? Engines used in boats are more similar to airplan-engines than in cars! Tuning a carengine is much easier than a boatengine
since they are more sensitive to humanity so they are harder to fine tune. Besides that the length of the tuned pipe increases or decreases rpm which results in richer or leaner needle settings.
RTR boats are easy to use untill you change the stock pipe for a tuned pipe!
Actually.... the CMB, Picco & Rossi marine engine blocks began life as car/buggy engines . K & B went the opposite way and took a marine engine and adapted it for road use.

As to the point about pipe length affecting needle. Yeah, that's true for any application with a tuned pipe, not exclusively marine.

Are marine engines more sensitive to humidity. No . Unless you are speaking to a heavily mod'ed engine like I run, than I may grant you that exception.

...I never did get why most hobbists think marine nitro is more difficult to use than aircraft or car. i just don't get it.
1:10, 2-wd Stadium Trucks
B-Mod Tunnels
If ignorance is bliss... I must be in heaven!
chunk t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

More sensitive to humanity?!!? Sorry, but thats funny. So when a country goes to war and kills innocent people, the engine runs better?

The biggest downfall to nitro boats IMO, you really have no warning when you're about to run out of fuel and strand your boat in the middle of the lake. If you have a chase boat or fetch raft, then its no big deal. After owning an electric years ago, when they were slow (no brushless, no lipos), I swore I would never own an electric boat again. Now that I have owned a nitro boat for a few years and always getting blown off the water by the faster electrics, I'm ready to make the switch bake over to electrics again.
“I love this kind of racing, but these guys sure change their personalities in race mode. They’re like Doberman pinschers with a hand grenade in their mouths” -Boris Said
NitroVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroVal View Post
More sensitive to humanity?!!? Sorry, but thats funny. So when a country goes to war and kills innocent people, the engine runs better?
My mistake...humidity
Old 07-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to arkmodel

arkmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links