Wiki Posts
Search

What you think???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default What you think???

I'm working on a trade here, but I'm 100% new to boats and need some help.
I'm trading a HPI Baja 5b RTR for an Outer Limits XXX with a Quikdraw 25, speedmaster hardware, radio box, servos.
Only 8 tanks in the motor.

does this look like a good deal?? for a beginner?

Thanks for the help
Old 07-08-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by torombolo
I'm trading a HPI Baja 5b RTR for an Outer Limits XXX with a Quikdraw 25, speedmaster hardware, radio box, servos.

Thanks for the help
As a beginner, pass on this deal. Get yourself an electric boat for $200-$300 to get your feet wet before you jump into a very fast and hard to maintain Aeromarine Outer Limits XXX. Look for the supervee 27 at Offshoreelectrics.com. They are on sale for $239.99 which is a great price for such a fast boat.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks LIV, advise taken, could you be more specific on why so hard to maintain etc.

Thanks again
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Thanks LIV, advise taken, could you be more specific on why so hard to maintain etc.

Thanks again
Well the outer limits xxx by aeromarine is a very large boat. Almost 45 inches long. It is very fast, and can be dangerous to yourself and others if not driven in correct areas (i.e. a really big lake or pond). The supervee 27 can be driven almost anywhere. Plus, there is tons of support on how to make the Supervee 27 an extremely fast boat when you think your ready for a couple of upgrades. While the outer limits xxx is not as common a boat and support is limited by your fellow peers. Check out the forums at offshoreelectrics.com to get more info on the Supervee 27 Brushless. Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks again
Trombolo, I'm on the other side of the pond from LIViper. I'd take gas/nitro any day of the week over electrics. But that's an irrelivent point.

LIV is dead on, it's a BIG boat that has two requirements.
1. it needs a lot of water to run
2. it's a two-man boat (one to drive one to launch)

I don't think a boat with an engine is any more dangerous or difficult to maintain than an electric and regardless of whether the boat is e-power or fueled... never run a boat on a body of water being shared by bathers or boaters (full size), you're just begging for trubble.

I think it's a good deal, the caviot is, do you have a place to safely run the boat and do you have a dedicated pitman for every day you hit the pond?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:08 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the coments an advice. well I would not be embarking on this alone or without guidance, there is a few clubs here in PR and I sure would join one,

all good to know
Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Tech Rookie

some pics I recieved:
Attached Thumbnails What you think???-qd25.jpg   What you think???-aeromarine.jpg   What you think???-xxx2e.jpg   What you think???-xxx4j.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Master

She is a beauty. But like I said, that boat will be very tough to get running because of the space requirements and the two person gig with the launcher and driver. The SV27 will allow to you just place it in the water yourself, and drive it, yourself, so you don't need somebody to go with you to drive the boat. It's all up to you, but I personally wouldn't because electric boats can be made much much faster then nitro or gas boats.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the help
No, quickdraw engines are the fastest engines in gasboatracing. Besides that they are not like the gas engines found in your baja. You need knowledge of these engines how to maintain them. Also you need to learn how to setup a boat. IT is not like a car just put them on the ground and drive. In boating you have to learn to set strut/prop depth, the right center of gravity, balancing the hull (otherwise the boat will pull to much to the left or right), how to trim the boat (specially for mono's who have trimtabs).
In my opinion it is a better plan to visit your local boatingclub and watch how the boaters doing these things and ask them your questions, they are there to help newcomers.