Search

Toy boat conversions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default Toy boat conversions

Has anyone bought a toy r/c boat from Toys R Us and converted it to regular rc electronics? I saw a boat in Toys R Us a few days ago that had some nice detail and I was thinking of getting it, gutting it and putting in some regular electronics. I just want something to putt around the pond, maybe make a trailer and pull it around with my Emaxx. Anyone else done this successfully? I have all the electronics and the boat is only $50.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to for when I go to the beach and there's no surf. I was thinking RTR gear, but with a modified motor
Old 01-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

I just figured it would be a cheap way to have a boat too. I don't need a full blown race boat or a thousand dollar scale boat. I dump enough money into my trucks as it is. Just wondered if anyone else has thought about it. I might be asking this in the wrong website.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

I did it!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Tech Regular

Thats what I'm looking at doing. The boat I'm looking at is a yaht style and is about 3 feet long. It's only $50 and I figured it should have enough room for some batteries and other electronics. I don't care if its fast or not. How well does yours work?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dont slow down
Thats what I'm looking at doing. The boat I'm looking at is a yaht style and is about 3 feet long. It's only $50 and I figured it should have enough room for some batteries and other electronics. I don't care if its fast or not. How well does yours work?

It's not fast. I also need a less bendy servo rod. The motor overheats if you run full throttle for too long, but other than that, it worked great.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yeah I had the same question because I have a boat from Wal-Mart called the "Malibu VLX Wakesetter" and it's based off a real boat so when the Mini Rio goes BL, It'll be receiving the electrics from that.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stampedekid
Yeah I had the same question because I have a boat from Wal-Mart called the "Malibu VLX Wakesetter" and it's based off a real boat so when the Mini Rio goes BL, It'll be receiving the electrics from that.
Can't wait to see pics of your BL Mini Rio. I have a Brushless Pro-Boat Mini-C. Post pics when you are finished.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

hows the brushless mini rio coming along?
Old 02-08-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

I have done up vaious toys r us boats. My adivice is to just get a cheap used "floater" like a rolling chassis off ebay. Some good examples are kyosho viper, great planes dagger, stinger, wilcat and wave rocket. All of these boats are sized perfect for 6 cells and are plenty entertaining with an old 27 turn. Just my .02
Old 02-12-2009, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Old 02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm in the process of converting a new bright toy boat, but I'm not sure what motor to go with. It's a direct submerged drive, so is a high turn or a low turn motor better? Like a 12T or 19T motor vs a 27T?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

I guess it depends on how big the boat is. I would probably stay around a mild modified, like a 17 turn. Any faster than that would probably destroy the boat or make it too hard to drive. I would like to do a conversion simply because you can pick up a New Bright or Nikko boat for around 70$ and it's pretty scale looking. That's my problem, most of the quality boats don't even look like boats, just a slick floating hull. I don't really want to spend a ton of money on a totally decked out scaler either, just something that looks decent that I can cruize around with.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Agreed about the scale look. My new bright boat cost me $38 brand new. Mind you it's insanely slow at this point, (won't even plane) but with a real radio/esc/motor/battery and a bit of elbow grease it should be lots of fun. The boat is 20 inches in length and looks pretty good with all the cheesy decals pulled off. Here's a link: http://www.newbright.com/nb-consumer...&action=detail

Right now it has a standard low quality 370 size motor in it, I've been thinking about getting a Losi 19T modified 380 size motor for I think the mini T or whatever it's called. Then I don't have to make any big modifications to the motor mount. I also got a brass prop for it which looks pretty cool, and I have a couple of 7-cell AAA size battery packs collecting dust from when I went to LiPo power for my heli.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Tech Regular

I'm pretty sure the Mini T motors would work great in that boat. This is the one I'm looking at. I think it would look pretty sweet behind my Emaxx.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2555296

It's 28" and should be able to accept a 540 motor and at least one battery pack. I did a smaller boat conversion years ago, but by the time I added the electronics and 6 cell pack it was so heavy it sat really low in the water and wouldn't even plane. it was only about a 12" boat though. Post up some pics of yours if you can. I'd like to see how you are going to do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.