• 1 Post By Speed Chaser
  • 1 Post By Billy Kelly

Brushless upgrade for Traxxas Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 07:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Brushless upgrade for Traxxas Ford GT

Was checking out hobbwings site for an upgrade to the stock system. What all do you guys recommend motor / esc wise for that car?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can't beat HobbyWing. How fast do you want to go? What's your budget?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I suppose around $100 - $150. Hadn't thought about top speed, just faster than the stock brushed.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

The XR10 JUSTOCK ESC: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...ant=4734196356

JUSTOCK 3650SD G2 Brushless Motor: https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=27383101960

For the motor I'd suggest 13.5T or 17.5T. 10.5T if you want the fastest offered with that motor. But it might be hard to drive.

EDIT: Actually, after thinking about this the GT comes with the Titan 12T. You might have to go to a 10.5T to get more speed. The 13.5T would probably be close. Hopefully others will chime in and confirm or disprove what I said.

The brushed to brushless equivalency chart, below, was taken from a post on this site. I believe this one to be correct. This chart is for 540 sized motors. The Titan 12T is a 550 motor so it has more torque. I'm not sure if it has higher RPM/top speed than a 540 motor with the same turns, but I don't believe it does.

27T brushed -> 17.5 brushless
19T brushed -> 13.5 brushless
13T brushed -> 10.5 brushless
10T brushed -> 6.5 brushless
7T brushed -> 3.5 brushless

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 08-20-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When that car came out I thought who would buy it? For it's cost you could buy a TC4 (race grade), electronics (radio, brushless motor, esc and all higher quality), a Protoform Ford GT body, pre mounted tires, a lipo and have money leftover to go race (several weeks). All you had to do was think about it a little. I even had this discussion with my local hobby shop owner who couldn't understand it either. LOL
Old 08-20-2017, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The reason people go with traxxas is because it is already pre build (some people don't want to take the time to assemble the components) and part availability.
JatoTheRipper likes this.

Last edited by Speed Chaser; 08-22-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by old_dude
When that car came out I thought who would buy it? For it's cost you could buy a TC4 (race grade), electronics (radio, brushless motor, esc and all higher quality), a Protoform Ford GT body, pre mounted tires, a lipo and have money leftover to go race (several weeks). All you had to do was think about it a little. I even had this discussion with my local hobby shop owner who couldn't understand it either. LOL
There's tons of reasons people buy the Traxxas instead. I have no idea how that's hard to understand.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by old_dude
Almost. Protoform has only released the GT body for the PanCar. The touring car version has been delayed due to circumstances beyond their control. That was their post here month or so ago in different thread.

I've had the 4Tec since release. It's about same speed as my USGT. Traxxas know most don't race. Or even know of RC racing. It's drIves well with the traction control off. I've been waiting to try the new VTA tires on it.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My comments are specifically about the GT. I own a Slash and I felt that was a awesome idea from Traxxas but only as a stand alone class. The problem with the GT was it has led a lot of people to think that it is a race grade car which it is not and to try and make it one is ridiculous. If you want to bash it is fine. If you can get enough of them at a venue to race as a separate class you can have a ton of fun with them but keep them box stock including the tires and motors. If you enjoy it you might want to move up and that will take a different car more like what I described and what I described cost less than the GT.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

12t titan is roughly equal to a 17.5 brushless. Both are allowed in our local oval slash late model class and both are pretty equal in performance. A 13.5 or 10.5 will definitely be faster than stock.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Flash74
12t titan is roughly equal to a 17.5 brushless. Both are allowed in our local oval slash late model class and both are pretty equal in performance. A 13.5 or 10.5 will definitely be faster than stock.
Stock is 22mph. Same area as my USGT car. Haven't what pinion they using on the brushless, I've seen reports of 38mph with the VXL system with stock gearing.

Currently looks to be only 2 spur options. They included a new spur with the brushless version.