Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

MiniPro Dyno: Various Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I went through a spell of getting really wild results similar to this and the root cause was I didn't have the Dyno secured to my work bench rigidly enough. Clamps won't do it, nor will having a pit mat or anything in the joint. Screw the Dyno to a board and screw the board to the work bench. That fixed this problem for me.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:42 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cdub_OffRoad
I went through a spell of getting really wild results similar to this and the root cause was I didn't have the Dyno secured to my work bench rigidly enough. Clamps won't do it, nor will having a pit mat or anything in the joint. Screw the Dyno to a board and screw the board to the work bench. That fixed this problem for me.
Yeah I have been emailing Jose and he's been very helpful, seem to have sorted it out.

Attached are some runs on the Maclan V2 21.5 Team Edition

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Maclan V2 21.5.pdf (615.8 KB, 110 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nexxus
Yeah I have been emailing Jose and he's been very helpful, seem to have sorted it out.

Attached are some runs on the Maclan V2 21.5 Team Edition
Jose is extremely helpful and will always email to help with any issues. How did you resolve the power in vs power out issue? Was it a setting within the software?
Old 06-29-2018, 12:09 AM
Tech Regular

I've done some testing on the Fantom FR1 V2R and from looking at the results I would say 50 degrees is the optimum as it gives better low down power and torque, almost the same top end power and torque but with a slightly higher peak output than 51 degrees. Timing was set on the motor analyser each run and the timing sensor deviaition was never more than 2 degrees.

Some of the runs gave very jagged outputs and some were un-useable. I'm not sure if this was vibration or noise picked up by the sensors. I ran 3 runs per timing setting and chose the average output. Where there was an unusable output I ran further runs and took the average of the usable data.

Last edited by dvaid852456; 07-03-2018 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:00 AM
Tech Regular

Here is another plot of the dyno results just comparing 50 degrees and 51 degrees timing. This time I set the smoothing factor to 11 on both plots within RC Crew Chief which I think makes 50 degrees the clear winner. Previously the smoothing factor was only 7 on the 50 degree plot.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Minipro dyno

Looking to purchase used minipro. Please pm me if you have one for sale. Thanks
Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

I love the dyno but there is something that is not obvious but its important. If you just use it as a motor dyno I have not found a way to use the data on a chassis. The friction, gearing, and efficiencies on a chassis compress the curve. Once you know the amount of compression a chassis adds to the motor dyno curve you can use it to calculate FDR with roll out. The only way i have found to account for this factor is to use the chassis dyno. However the inertia wheel still adds a factor that skews the data of chassis dyno curves.

in simple terms:
motor dyno only provides data that is representative but not exactly what you would experience on track.

Chassis dyno plus inertia wheel is probably closer but what you will see is (as an example) a motor that goes to 12k instead of 20k.

it also only calculated power based on acceleration of inertia. If it was a variable load dyno you could dial in the right load and even test out how the motor heats under that load.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

You could use lap times exclusively to figure out correct timing and gearing for each motor without ever buying a motor or chassis dyno...

A motor dyno simply reduces the variables to compare and tune just motors. You can change out the flywheel to vary the load.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scrubb
You could use lap times exclusively to figure out correct timing and gearing for each motor without ever buying a motor or chassis dyno...

A motor dyno simply reduces the variables to compare and tune just motors. You can change out the flywheel to vary the load.
you could but what would you change it to?

the motor curve changes based on load. So 1 combination of friction and acceleration will be different than another. If you intentions are to use the curve to adjust something on your car then how do you apply what you learned from the motor dyno to the chassis?
Old 07-17-2019, 03:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

anyone selling a minipro? i´m searching for
Old 07-19-2019, 11:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonnydb
anyone selling a minipro? i´m searching for
Build your own, as I have done...
Search @rcracingguide for photos on FaceBook
Old 03-16-2020, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I'm trying to use a 600W Power supply (7.5v) [Meanwell HRP] to do my dyno runs.

I'm having issues with motor feedback after the throttle is removed since it is increasing the voltage to the PSU and making it shut down.

Does anyone have an idea on a circuit/capacitor to maintain this voltage so the PSU doesn't shut down?
Old 03-16-2020, 04:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'm surprised that power supply was enough. The 17.5s I've tested pull over 900w at the start of the test.

Maybe you need a diode, but I'm not an electrical engineer. I've only used batteries with my Minipro.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu
I'm trying to use a 600W Power supply (7.5v) [Meanwell HRP] to do my dyno runs.

I'm having issues with motor feedback after the throttle is removed since it is increasing the voltage to the PSU and making it shut down.

Does anyone have an idea on a circuit/capacitor to maintain this voltage so the PSU doesn't shut down?
I would suggest putting a load on the power supply to help it provide constant power. I have a similar thing that happens to my power supply and using the X6 icharger. Running the power supply using only the charger is not enough on its own. Had to add a light or fans. In my case I use the fans that cool my external discharge to create that load and I have no more problems.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Im surprised the powersupply still works. They dont usually handle regenerative power very well. A load is the answer but it requires planning. You are probably better off putting a lead acid battery between the powersupply and esc and run the powersupply above the voltage of the battery. If you are doing dyno runs doesnt it make sense to just use a LIPO like you would when you race so that everything is closer to the way you would use it?

the regenerative power is watts per second. How many? A fan or light will burn off watts per second but it might not be enough. A big ol battery has allot more capacity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.