Wiki Posts
Search

Charging Li-Po's Amps

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Charging Li-Po's Amps

I want to get a definitive answer to whether charging Li-Po's at less than 1C is beneficial AND by how much if at all. Not way low, but at say .6C. Is there anything to gain?

I know that charging too high reduces the life of the battery so I'm thinking lower can increase it's life. But how low? Is it worthwhile?

Also, is 1C just a guideline? For example, you have the same series brand battery. One is 7000mah and the other 4000mah. They recommend charging at 1C. The larger battery can take more volume overall but is there anything different (if so what?) in the larger mah battery that makes it able to better cope with a higher charge rate? ie 7amps v 4amps or does the same amp charge rate affect them equally?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

I have some batteries that I charge at 4C when it's time to run them even though it says max 2C rate. When I am done though I always do the storage charge at 1C and the batteries still function like brand new with the cell balance being right on.

I have seen people at the track put 70A charging their batteries and no issues with puffing or anything. We are talking charge rates of over 12C+.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have not seen nor read any evidence that charging at rates below 1c will in any way lengthen a packs' life. In fact, most modern packs are fine with 2&3c charge rates as per the mfgs' recommendations. The people killing packs with charge rates are those trying to hit a 4000mah shorty at 60+ amps for stock racing.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:13 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone with proper scientific evidence actually know?

And this,

Originally Posted by roylo

Also, is 1C just a guideline? For example, you have the same series brand battery. One is 7000mah and the other 4000mah. They recommend charging at 1C. The larger battery can take more volume overall but is there anything different (if so what?) in the larger mah battery that makes it able to better cope with a higher charge rate? ie 7amps v 4amps or does the same amp charge rate affect them equally?

Thanks.

What makes a battery that is 7000mah more able to cope with a recommended 1C 7amp charge better than a 3000mah charged at 7amp?
The 7000mah can take more capacity but what else is different?

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:59 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What makes a battery that is 7000mah more able to cope with a recommended 1C 7amp charge better than a 3000mah charged at 7amp?

Thanks.
GL
Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 AM
Tech Champion

And this,

Thanks.
The higher capacity batteries generally are larger internally, and have more surface area across the anodes and cathodes.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Ok thanks. So the larger surface area can kind of like soak up the incoming power better than the smaller surface area?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes, its has more room for the individual electrons to carry the charge since there is many more atoms in the pack for the same amount of current flowing. The larger packs often have 2 more cells running in parallel.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:01 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks. Always good to learn something.