R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By racer1812

Old 05-07-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Need help, unstable lipo, burnt 150T servos, shattered ego

I feel like I have a ticking time bomb or bombs sitting on my hands. First and foremost how do I dispose of an unstable lipo. Have been reading posts that suggest discharging them down to zero voltage, in this case the wires are melted on the lipo, that isn't really an option. I sat the battery in my fire pit outside after getting it out of my car, after two hours I picked it up and it began smoking so I sat it back down and have not touched it since then.

Th damage caused was melted in the receiver box area of my tekno NB 48.3, battery is a protek 2cell lipo 2600mah. It melted my on/off switch, the wires for my protek 150T servos, receiver look to have survived. Yesterday I fully charged it, took my car out and ran 5 or 6 tanks in a parking lot trying to get my engine tuned. Have less than 2 quarts on this new car. Was gonna do the same thing this afternoon, I did not take my receiver pack out after I finished yesterday. Figured I was gonna run it again today, prior to leaving I wanted to adjust my throttle trim, so I flipped on the receiver and radio, made a small adjustment, and right after that I smelt the smoke and saw it come from radio box. I hurried outside, unscrewed the receiver and battery box like a NASCAR pit crew member, and removed the lipo. It appeared that the fire and or overheating occurred inside the receiver box only. Not quite sure what caused it, but it did substantial damage to both my car and my wallet, though it could have been worse I Suppose, at least I didn't have to call the fire department. Battery was not puffed or anything of that sort when I put it in the car fully charged yesterday, though I did not check it after finishing my 5-6 tanks yesterday, that could very well be where I messed up.

& Too make things better, my girlfriend was here when it happened, she thinks this hobby of mine is dangerous and can be detremential to my well being. That's an argument I'll never win. I just hope my new buggy doesn't have to end up in the for sale section after this, she doesn't even have a scratch on the chassis yet....

So now I feel like I have a ticking time bomb sitting in my fire pit. And idk what to do with it. Both the battery and my girlfriend, any thoughts on how to diffuse the situation ?
Attached Thumbnails
Need help, unstable lipo, burnt 150T servos, shattered ego-img_4466.jpg   Need help, unstable lipo, burnt 150T servos, shattered ego-img_4469.jpg   Need help, unstable lipo, burnt 150T servos, shattered ego-img_4470.jpg   Need help, unstable lipo, burnt 150T servos, shattered ego-img_4472.jpg   Need help, unstable lipo, burnt 150T servos, shattered ego-img_4471.jpg  

Shady3275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

More and more stores have battery disposal bins right in the entrance, if you have a Bestbuy in your area they always have them and we even have them in the front of most grocery stores around here.
As for the girlfriend the solution may not be so easy. Perhaps suggest picking up chainsaw juggling as the alternative?
RC Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You could just run a nimh or life pack if she's that concerned about lipo. Inform her that you could be doing a lot worse things; drinking, drugs, gambling, motorcycles etc.
anthonyscardina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

It's in a fire pit, light a fire. Problem solved..just don't breath the smoke.

You're situation is rare. Have your girl take a Xanax and buy a new receiver pack.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:59 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I always just tossed the pack in saltwater and let it discharge for a couple days then disposed of it after it is inert. Also, +1 on the life pack upgrade.
Associated TC7.1
Durango DESC410V2 Pro
sport10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Put your girl in saltwater for a few days to discharge, once she is fully discharged explain to her that rc is part of your life and you live on the edge, exploding lipos is part of the thrill so tell her to strap in and hold on whIle you take her on the most extreme ride of her life.
blarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady3275 View Post
I feel like I have a ticking time bomb or bombs sitting on my hands. First and foremost how do I dispose of an unstable lipo. Have been reading posts that suggest discharging them down to zero voltage, in this case the wires are melted on the lipo, that isn't really an option. I sat the battery in my fire pit outside after getting it out of my car, after two hours I picked it up and it began smoking so I sat it back down and have not touched it since then.

Th damage caused was melted in the receiver box area of my tekno NB 48.3, battery is a protek 2cell lipo 2600mah. It melted my on/off switch, the wires for my protek 150T servos, receiver look to have survived. Yesterday I fully charged it, took my car out and ran 5 or 6 tanks in a parking lot trying to get my engine tuned. Have less than 2 quarts on this new car. Was gonna do the same thing this afternoon, I did not take my receiver pack out after I finished yesterday. Figured I was gonna run it again today, prior to leaving I wanted to adjust my throttle trim, so I flipped on the receiver and radio, made a small adjustment, and right after that I smelt the smoke and saw it come from radio box. I hurried outside, unscrewed the receiver and battery box like a NASCAR pit crew member, and removed the lipo. It appeared that the fire and or overheating occurred inside the receiver box only. Not quite sure what caused it, but it did substantial damage to both my car and my wallet, though it could have been worse I Suppose, at least I didn't have to call the fire department. Battery was not puffed or anything of that sort when I put it in the car fully charged yesterday, though I did not check it after finishing my 5-6 tanks yesterday, that could very well be where I messed up.

& Too make things better, my girlfriend was here when it happened, she thinks this hobby of mine is dangerous and can be detremential to my well being. That's an argument I'll never win. I just hope my new buggy doesn't have to end up in the for sale section after this, she doesn't even have a scratch on the chassis yet....

So now I feel like I have a ticking time bomb sitting in my fire pit. And idk what to do with it. Both the battery and my girlfriend, any thoughts on how to diffuse the situation ?

it appears you had a short circuit somewhere. Those wires are thin, so can't handle much current...which explains why the insulation melted. Think of the heating elements in a toaster--that's what happened to your wires!

A battery cannot cause a problem like this all by itself. A battery only discharges when there is an electrical path...so something went wrong...a short circuit somewhere.

Follow the melted wires and you'll find the short circuit.

It could be at the receiver, since that one plug was so thoroughly melted. There was a lot of heat right there.

If the battery isn't damaged, I'd try to keep it. If you can get a new plug wire and splice it in to the wires....if the insulation is damaged all the way back to the battery, I'd open up the pack, solder new wires on, and seal it up with a non-conductive tape. It isn't hard or dangerous, if you have a healthy respect for electricity.

Otherwise, if you want to dispose of it, I recommend discharging with a small light bulb. I did this recently with good success, and it takes very little time, maybe an hour? When the pack is fully discharged, connect the positive and negative leads together so the pack cannot recover any charge. Then they're perfectly safe, but probably still best to drop at a battery recycler.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:58 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only reason lipo batteries "explode" is because of the heat build up during a short circuit event. There can be many reasons for this but there is no inherent danger in a lipo battery until they are very old or physically damaged. Even age isn't that big of a deal, I have some that are nearly 10 years old and even though they don't hold much charge, they haven't created a newsworthy event either.

If you want to dispose of it, throwing it in a bucket of salt water for a couple weeks will drain any remaining voltage from the battery and render it harmless. The salt water's only purpose is to allow for a small electrical current to pass between the battery poles placing a small drain on it. Since the resistance of salt water is very high, there is no heat and no fireworks. This can be accomplished many other ways as well, the end goal is simply to bring the battery down to 0 volts. Normally a discharged lipo battery still has anywhere from 2.8 - 3.2 volts of electricity which is plenty of electricity to make fireworks. However you choose to dispose of the battery, just make sure it is completely discharged first.

What you'll need to do is find the cause of the short circuit in your system before re-connecting your battery or another battery. If you don't you'll have a similar situation regardless of the type of battery.
jkaetz is offline   Reply With Quote