R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default Is there a 1:8 / SC Esc that has a beginner mode?

I know Traxxas offers their vxl and it allows for a 50% "beginner" mode. Yet i do not plan on purchasing any Traxxas product, and would like a 1/8 ESC that offers such capabilities. I know I can go with a low KV 1:8 /SC motor on 2S, yet would like a limiting ESC as well. It will be so my youngest can learn to drive 1:8 buggy.

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!
1/8 IC Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan View Post
I know Traxxas offers their vxl and it allows for a 50% "beginner" mode. Yet i do not plan on purchasing any Traxxas product, and would like a 1/8 ESC that offers such capabilities. I know I can go with a low KV 1:8 /SC motor on 2S, yet would like a limiting ESC as well. It will be so my youngest can learn to drive 1:8 buggy.
Depending on your remote, you can just turn down the throttle end point when you let him drive. But in general most programmable ESC's have some sort of current limiter as well.
EbbTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Pretty much any ESC can do that if you set the EPA on your transmitter to 50% but if the ESC re-calibrates to that new signal, then it will see that as 100% throttle.

The Castle Mamba Monster X has an extra wire on the harness that plugs into a second channel on the radio. This allows you to tune a few different features on the fly, one of which being max power out with the flip of a switch or turn of a dial. If it is always going to be set at 50% you can connect to the ESC via Castle Link and set the max power out.

If you were always going to be running at 50%, running a 2s battery would actually be better for the ESC. Partial throttle is harder on the ESC than full throttle.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Did not even think of that, man, there it is, lol. If it were a snake.

Yeah I figured 2S is the way to go for now, and just to get him to understand the handling characteristics.

Thanks everyone.

--->When in doubt try the Search Tab, it can and actually will lead to an Answer!
1/8 IC Fan is online now   Reply With Quote