Wiki Posts
Search

Acuvance Capacitors

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Acuvance Capacitors

Just a short one ... does anyone know why Acuvance capacitors are so expensive? What type of caps are they?
Old 11-09-2016, 11:50 PM
Tech Lord

It looks like they have used a square type capacitor or created a PCB with many small ones like SMD capacitors. Has anyone opened one?
Because the flat surface they are easy to mount.

In theory many smaller ones have a lower resistance than one big one but at the end a simple and cheap low ESR capacitor from the local radio shack will work fine.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

We would like to present you our latest creation in terms of power modulation: the Acutron.

The Acutron is a device that rely on the photoelectric effect theory allowing static electricity to be drawn out of your entire system to create a smoother feel both on and off acceleration. Not only this device releases static electricity through your electric system, but also throughout your entire chasis, regardless of the type of battery, voltage, or vehicle application. It can be soldered directly to your negative battery lead and used in conjunction with our line of Chevalier capacitors for an even smoother experience.
From wiki
The photoelectric effect or photoemission (given by Albert Einstein) is the production of electrons or other free carriers when light is shone onto a material. Electrons emitted in this manner can be called photoelectrons. The phenomenon is commonly studied in electronic physics, as well as in fields of chemistry, such as quantum chemistry or electrochemistry.

Lolnope

Reading their descriptions reminds me of some of the audiophile gimicks that are sold.
Like these
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
Old 11-10-2016, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by whitrzac
Reading their descriptions reminds me of some of the audiophile gimicks that are sold.
Like these
http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm
That is awesome! It's much more entertaining than "breaking in" speaker cables!
Old 11-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Tech Regular

Wow! I guess all hobbies have their, well lets say shady, products! I can understand placing a large rock (and I mean large) in a room would change the acoustics of that room, but pebbles?

As for the Keyence/Acuvance cap, well, I have tried one a long time ago. Didn't see any difference. It looks to be fairly high capacity, so I guess it could help a bit more under acceleration towards the end of the pack, but I've never experienced that situation so it is just a wild guess. I've been told they are extremely low ESR caps, though, so there might be some performance advantage.

The Acutron is something different. It is designed to get rid of static electricity. I don't know how effective it is.

Martin Paradis
Old 11-14-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Lord

A lot of crap advertising is done in our RC world. Everything is special made or selected while it is nothing more than a normal product bought directly from a manufacturer.
Screws, oils, greese etc as these caps are just normal components.

The capacitor with NiMh had also a function to fill in the voltage drops so the FET's of an ESC get enough voltage during the drop to stay closed for maximal power. Today's BL esc's produce a high frequency rimple which can be killing for the FET's by making them hot. The capacitor acts like a filter to lower the rimple that cools down the temperature.
With today's LiPo batteries and high grade wires the voltage drops are hardly noticeable.

Again, there is no special RC brand specified capacitor, any normal low ESR capacitor with a same value and enough voltage will do.