Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Castle Creations Sensored Motors / ESC

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For a basher it just needs to rip. When I bought my MMX and 2200kv for my 1/8th basher I paid 180 dollars for both new, with coupon. You can almost but two of those for a tekin setup.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I can say the MM-X when ran in sensored mode works excellent. I didn't feel at all at a dissadvantage versus other ESCs I have used like the Tekin RX8 Gen2 for example in 1/8 and 1/10 4x4 SCT.

The smoothest though was the Viper VTX8, was a great esc just wish it wasn't sensored only.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hard to beat the hobbywing xerun motors and esc's but if the price is right, I don't mind getting a MMX esc and 1800Kv motor and try on my e-buggy.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

They didn't mark the turn count on the 540 cans, so right off the bat many racers will avoid these. That was a silly move by Castle. Castle is NOT in tune with the racers. That is totally fine, as they have the basher market pretty well secured. But if they wanted to expand their market, they need to have motors marked as 17.5T, 13.5T, 10.5T etc, and get them ROAR approved. I think they would get a lot of business from the bashers who decide to start racing, as people tend to go with what is familiar to them. Heck, if they made a strong motor at a good price, they would probably rake it in from plenty of racers.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:29 AM
Tech Legend

+1 some more standard ratings on the motors would be a big plus!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
These days it's almost silly not to put sensored on everything. They're not that much more expensive and you can get or make them waterproof.

Exactly. Once you go with a top tier brand you see the difference. It's hard downgrading and going back.
Castle IS and has been a top tier brand. They just focused on boat racing, basher cars (easily 90% of the market) and flight. I agree completely with you guys that they should put a turn rating on them, but then again, I haven't dealt with turns in my 4wd SCT or 1/8 in a long time. Last one was a Reedy, now discontinued. So it's not that far of a stretch. The uninitiated? Yeah, they might get lost. But anyone who's been around for a minute will be able to figure out what they need.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I like the sensored/sensorless running "innovation" as CC calls it, but that HobbyWing has been using for years on the SCT Pro and other ESC's.

Seems CC is a bit behind the times....
Old 11-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Alan_r
Castle IS and has been a top tier brand. They just focused on boat racing, basher cars (easily 90% of the market) and flight. I agree completely with you guys that they should put a turn rating on them, but then again, I haven't dealt with turns in my 4wd SCT or 1/8 in a long time. Last one was a Reedy, now discontinued. So it's not that far of a stretch. The uninitiated? Yeah, they might get lost. But anyone who's been around for a minute will be able to figure out what they need.
Turns don't convert directly too KV. You can have the same KV motors from different companies that will perform differently because of turns. So not listing the turns does make it almost impossible to truly compare motors in some cases.

Some tracks around here won't let you run in race events unless your motor is measured in turns. If all you have is KV you're SOL and they aren't going to take some forum post from random people as proof of the number of turns. They want manufacture info.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
Some tracks around here won't let you run in race events unless your motor is measured in turns. If all you have is KV you're SOL and they aren't going to take some forum post from random people as proof of the number of turns. They want manufacture info.
BINGO.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zinergy
For a basher it just needs to rip. When I bought my MMX and 2200kv for my 1/8th basher I paid 180 dollars for both new, with coupon. You can almost but two of those for a tekin setup.
What motor are you using with your MMX and are you experiencing any cogging? I'm having horrible cogging with my Tekin ROC412 3100kV.

Originally Posted by Cain
I can say the MM-X when ran in sensored mode works excellent. I didn't feel at all at a dissadvantage versus other ESCs I have used like the Tekin RX8 Gen2 for example in 1/8 and 1/10 4x4 SCT.

The smoothest though was the Viper VTX8, was a great esc just wish it wasn't sensored only.
What motor are you using with your MMX and are you experiencing any cogging? I'm having horrible cogging with my Tekin ROC412 3100kV.

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
They didn't mark the turn count on the 540 cans, so right off the bat many racers will avoid these. That was a silly move by Castle. Castle is NOT in tune with the racers.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Alan_r
Castle IS and has been a top tier brand.
No, they're not.

Originally Posted by Precision1
I like the sensored/sensorless running "innovation" as CC calls it, but that HobbyWing has been using for years on the SCT Pro and other ESC's.

Seems CC is a bit behind the times....
HobbyWing gets no credit and they deserve tons. People often confuse them with HobbyKing which is frustrating.

I agree.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Tech Legend

I have ran these ESCs with the following in sensored mode, no cogging:

- 4x4 SCT Hobbywing 3656SD 4000Kv Motor 2S lipo
- 4x4 SCT Maclan 4150kv 550 Motor 2S Lipo
- 1/8 E Buggy Viper 2100kv Motor 4S Lipo
- 1/8 E Buggy SMC 1900Kv Motor 4S Lipo

No, they're not.
Define what constitutes top tier in your opinion. If you mean an esc that is marketed for racing purposes, I've had a variety for a variety of racing vehicles (that is primarily what I do) and based on actual performance, I would consider what I have been seeing with the MM-X as one of the better escs I have used, but personal experiences do vary.

At one point when 1/8 E-buggy first got going where a 6000mah 20C lipo was considered pretty good, it was quite common to modify Castle creations Mamba Max ESC to be able to run a 1/8 E buggy on 4S. Just by pass the BEC and drill holes in the case and add a fan. It was one of the few that was robust enough to do that to.

And finally, they are one of the few if not only (if you know of one state it) that offers a 1 year warranty last I checked on their ESCs with from what I have personally experienced a pretty easy return process when needed.

Ironically the most difficulty I had on a warranty return was on a hobbywing product, go figure.

HobbyWing gets no credit and they deserve tons. People often confuse them with HobbyKing which is frustrating.
I use hobbywing products, even ordered the new XR8 SCT pro esc due to its size. There ESCs and motors work very well. My only complaint was the last warranty item I went around with them on. In comparison to what other companies have done for warranty items, they were not top tier in that regards for that particular issue.

However, based on my needs I am willing to give them another go (and have, hence the XR8 ScT Pro I have sitting here) and don't have a problem advising people to give them a look once they understand how they handle warranty issues.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

I have ran these ESCs with the following in sensored mode, no cogging:

- 4x4 SCT Hobbywing 3656SD 4000Kv Motor 2S lipo
- 4x4 SCT Maclan 4150kv 550 Motor 2S Lipo
- 1/8 E Buggy Viper 2100kv Motor 4S Lipo
- 1/8 E Buggy SMC 1900Kv Motor 4S Lipo
Thanks. I've tried a Tekin ROC412 3100kV and a Yeah Racing 21.5T Hackmoto. Both cog on my MMX as well as my replacement MMX.

Define what constitutes top tier in your opinion. If you mean an esc that is marketed for racing purposes, I've had a variety for a variety of racing vehicles (that is primarily what I do) and based on actual performance, I would consider what I have been seeing with the MM-X as one of the better escs I have used, but personal experiences do vary.
Castle is not bottom of the barrel, but most of their stuff is budget/mid level electronics marketed towards the bashing crowd. They are not Tekin, HobbyWing, etc.

If you would read about my MMX debacle and my less than stellar support from Castle you wouldn't think so highly of the MMX. At this point Castle even stopped responding to my emails.

I use hobbywing products, even ordered the new XR8 SCT pro esc due to its size. There ESCs and motors work well. My only complaint was the last warranty item I went around with them on. In comparison to what other companies have done for warranty items, they were not top tier in that regards for that particular issue.

However, based on my needs I am willing to give them another go and don't have a problem advising people to give them a look once they understand how they handle warranty issues.
I've never had to deal with HobbyWing customer service because I've never had a failure so I can't comment on that. But I've used HobbyWing in bashing, crawling, and racing without a single hiccup.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Legend

Thanks. I've tried a Tekin ROC412 3100kV and a Yeah Racing 21.5T Hackmoto. Both cog on my MMX as well as my replacement MMX.
Yeah that can be tough one. I am assuming the usual things didn't fix the issue such as sensor wire changes, settings on ESC, different batteries, etc.

Castle is not bottom of the barrel, but most of their stuff is budget/mid level electronics marketed towards the bashing crowd. They are not Tekin, HobbyWing, etc.
You'd may find it interesting to read about issues people had with a variety of racing ESCs. Some brands here were pretty much sworn off by the local racing crowd due to the issues seen (cutting out off of jumps, catching fire, etc) even with great customer service. In general those particular items I personally didn't have earth shattering problems, mainly one in particular having the cutting out problem which apparently it needed lots of padding under the ESC to keep it from happening, later apparently fixed with a new version of the ESC.

If you would read about my MMX debacle and my less than stellar support from Castle you wouldn't think so highly of the MMX. At this point Castle even stopped responding to my emails.
I can say the same about my experience with Hobbywing's CS which I did post on one of their threads. Its unfortunate that happens.

I've never had to deal with HobbyWing customer service because I've never had a failure so I can't comment on that. But I've used HobbyWing in bashing, crawling, and racing without a single hiccup.
truth is everyone's stuff is "great" when you don't have a problem. Its when you do regardless of who it is when you get to see what they are made of.

Unfortunately we both had bad experiences with companies that the opposite likes. Life's funny like that sometimes.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

I have run a tekin 1800kv and a castle neu 1515 2200kv. I get a very slight cog on the castle running sensorless of course when on very light throttle at low speeds. But as I said it's a basher so it is very rare I'm less than 40%-50% throttle+.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah that can be tough one. I am assuming the usual things didn't fix the issue such as sensor wire changes, settings on ESC, different batteries, etc.
I've tried everything. New ESC, new motor, new sensor wire, new sensor harness (worst idea ever), new LiPo, and even a new transmitter and receiver.

You'd may find it interesting to read about issues people had with a variety of racing ESCs. Some brands here were pretty much sworn off by the local racing crowd due to the issues seen (cutting out off of jumps, catching fire, etc) even with great customer service. In general those particular items I personally didn't have earth shattering problems, mainly one in particular having the cutting out problem which apparently it needed lots of padding under the ESC to keep it from happening, later apparently fixed with a new version of the ESC.

I can say the same about my experience with Hobbywing's CS which I did post on one of their threads. Its unfortunate that happens.

truth is everyone's stuff is "great" when you don't have a problem. Its when you do regardless of who it is when you get to see what they are made of.

Unfortunately we both had bad experiences with companies that the opposite likes. Life's funny like that sometimes.
Well said and very true.

I think we've all had those experiences with reputable companies where we're just like "Why do people love brand X?" I usually don't give second chances though. I've given Castle a second chance just buying the MMX and after that I've given them a third chance, fourth, etc and I'm just over it especially now that I can't get an email response from their CS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.