Wiki Posts
Search

Budget 17.5t stock setup for B5M Lite

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Budget 17.5t stock setup for B5M Lite

Just picked up a B5M Lite and looking to outfit it on a budget for stock class. Realistically I will be lucky to make a race night so it'll more be for the occasion I get to even go to the track and practice, and then probably to run around on my property every now and then. I am narrowing down between a few choices and a few options given to me by members here and a gent at the track.

-Hobbywing XR10 Justock: I was looking at just the esc and also noticed they have a 17.5t motor combo for 94.99 which is definitely within budget. No adjustable endbell.

-Trakstar 120a Turbo: Seems to be a pretty solid esc choice but I am worried its a bit big for the b5m lite. Also noticed its offered in a combo with a 17.5t motor from them as well. Seems to have adjustable timing on the endbell.

-Trakstar 80a turbo: This seems more in line with the Justock in terms of being lower amp, imagining its got a smaller footprint as well. Got offered one of these, a program card, and a TrakPower 17.5t motor at a steal. If these items check out nice I am definitely leaning this way just due to the cost savings. Motor has adjustable endbell but dont see much in terms of performance reviews. ESC is now ROAR approved for blinky which seems like it must be a solid option.

What do you guys think? Thank you!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hobbywing XR10 Justock and Eco-Power 17.5 motor makes a great combo that is fast, durable and if you decide to race can be totally competitive. With the coupon from Amain you can get this combo for right around $100.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with the HobbyWing. It's simple to use, and very cost effective.

If you'll be doing mostly practice, with the occasional race, just about any 17.5 will do. I do suggest sticking with a unit that has adjustable end bell.

Fwiw, I run the Tekin gen3, with roar approved "torque" rotor....it's plenty fast. I never feel that I lack anything when racing others.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waffleNchicken
You can't go wrong with the HobbyWing. It's simple to use, and very cost effective.

If you'll be doing mostly practice, with the occasional race, just about any 17.5 will do. I do suggest sticking with a unit that has adjustable end bell.

Fwiw, I run the Tekin gen3, with roar approved "torque" rotor....it's plenty fast. I never feel that I lack anything when racing others.
In general I agree, especially about the Hobbywing Justock, imho the best budget ESC you can buy(I have 2 of them myself, one in my VTA sedan & the other in my Tamiya mini, love 'em to death). But I think an even better motor choice is the Trackstar V2 17.5's. I have one in my B5m Factory Lite(won the kit about a month ago, & I have to admit, I like it), & I can guarantee I'm not lacking in power to ANYONE at my local tracks(even one or two guys who charge their batteries at extreme amperage seem impressed with how my car accelerates. It's a VERY stout little motor, & HobbyKing sells them for around $46....
Old 08-23-2016, 01:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I ended up grabbing the TrakStar 80a ROAR approved ESC, program card, and TrakPower 17.5t ms series motor for 45$ shipped off of here in like new condition. Couldn't resist. I do plan to grab one of the TrakStar v2 17.5t motors though since soamy keep commenting on how good they are in terms of bang for the buck. Can't find any info on the TrakPower 17.5t MS series though.

If I can, I'll probably grab a Justock off of here as well. Might as well have two combos. I have a super clean t4 roller on a shelf I could use one or the other for anyways. Haha.