Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Does receiver voltage increase range?? >

Does receiver voltage increase range??

Does receiver voltage increase range??

Old 08-21-2016, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Does receiver voltage increase range??

I'm trying to get more range out of my Futaba 4PLS. I'm running either 304sb's, 203GF's, or 2008sb. I was hoping that the 2008sb would increase range a bit, however it seems to be about the same. In some recent searching/ testing, Ive noticed that if I power my receiver with a 2s lipo RX pack(from my nitro cars) I seem to get better range. Typically I run the internal ESC at 6.0v.

Does this seem to make any sense? Thanks for any experience, or different idea's on more range.

I didn't want to invest in a 4PX/4PX-r unless i'm guaranteed more range.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Tech Lord

It is weird because inside the receiver there is a voltage regulator making a steady voltage for the electronics.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Roelof
It is weird because inside the receiver there is a voltage regulator making a steady voltage for the electronics.

Exactly my logic, however, by setting the bec or external voltage higher, the servo/ electronics obviously get more V. I was just wondering if that somehow ups the range as the Rx side sees more V.

I wish futaba listed ranges, but I guess there are too many factors... Ideally I'd like to have 1/2mile
Old 08-21-2016, 11:44 AM
Tech Lord

Maybe the voltage drops are less.....
Old 08-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

RX, I don't think you are able to do that, its already a voltage regulator for servos and ESC. You can maybe do it with the TX. Radio operators of HAM and CB call it peak and tweak. Maybe Illegal to do. Radio systems of RC Futaba and Sanwa are different, each proprietary. One manufacture does better then the other.

FCC compliance come into the picture. Tweaking TX could cause static on home cordless phone that use 2.4mhz which RC runs. Cordless phone are regulated to 120ft from base, and also WiFi wireless on computers. CB limited to 4watts, 2 on walkie talkies. TX and home phones even less.

Be kinda funny when you are messing around on the street, and neighbors phones ringing!!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Geezatec
CB limited to 4watts, 2 on walkie talkies.
Hahahaha...."legally" limited...I used to peak and tweak CB's when I was in that hobby. In addition, I also had "HAM" amplifiers that were also modded for use in the 27Mhz band of CB. Dont get me started on the "HAM" radios that are modded to include the CB band..
Old 08-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lanky
In some recent searching/ testing, Ive noticed that if I power my receiver with a 2s lipo RX pack(from my nitro cars) I seem to get better range. Typically I run the internal ESC at 6.0v.

Does this seem to make any sense? Thanks for any experience, or different idea's on more range.
Yes, that can make sense, and I've had similar results in the past. The battery is a "clean" source, i.e., free of electrical noise. Some receivers don't reject power supply noise as well as they should, and will therefore have more range when run from a battery. It's not necessarily the extra voltage that does the trick, but the lower noise.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by howardcano
Yes, that can make sense, and I've had similar results in the past. The battery is a "clean" source, i.e., free of electrical noise. Some receivers don't reject power supply noise as well as they should, and will therefore have more range when run from a battery. It's not necessarily the extra voltage that does the trick, but the lower noise.
This makes perfect sense... Using my data logs, when going from full throttle to brakes, I do see a small deviation in BEC output voltage from the ESC to RX. This is also typically when I loose reception/ control of car...
Old 08-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

now all I need to do is figure out how to get some more power out of the Tx side...
Old 08-21-2016, 05:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Ideally I'd like to have 1/2mile
Seriously??? Lucky you can see that far leave alone drive a car/truck that distance! That'd be like looking at a fly on the neighbors window across the street!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Andy Koback
Seriously??? Lucky you can see that far leave alone drive a car/truck that distance! That'd be like looking at a fly on the neighbors window across the street!
this specific application is for doing speed runs.. typically we do it at night utilizing lights.... typical distance of run is .45/mile or .9 total... crazy how much distance you can cover going 160mph....

When running my boat I have had similar issue's as well... easy to get it far out.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have noticed a lot less issues when running high voltage batteries in the TX. I am sure others have gotten a lot better performance going to higher voltage batteries as well.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

this specific application is for doing speed runs.. typically we do it at night utilizing lights.... typical distance of run is .45/mile or .9 total... crazy how much distance you can cover going 160mph....

When running my boat I have had similar issue's as well... easy to get it far out.
It would be binoculars for me!!!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

I am running the LiFe 6.6v pack in my transmitter....
Old 08-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by EJ2civic
Hahahaha...."legally" limited...I used to peak and tweak CB's when I was in that hobby. In addition, I also had "HAM" amplifiers that were also modded for use in the 27Mhz band of CB. Dont get me started on the "HAM" radios that are modded to include the CB band..
You know about aye!! RF with Cb's and HAM its not the power it puts out, its modulation to be clear. RC uses modulation. Other things to look at power line or telephone line, above ground or buried.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.