Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options for Stock Tekin Caps

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Options for Stock Tekin Caps

So, I'm pretty much fed up with the capacitor on my Tekin RSX. No matter how I mount it the legs eventually bend & break. I used servo tape to stick it to the case but it was the same issue.

Could I use a capacitor from another ESC that has the same specifications as the Tekin cap? Capacity: 330uF*2.
Voltage: 16V

This cap comes with long, flexible wires, gonna mount the actual cap to the RX.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Tech Initiate

You certainly can. However, you need to make sure you choose an equivalent or better capacitor than the one Tekin provided.

Your capacitor needs to be rated for 16v or higher, be 330uF, and have as low an ESR as possible. This third detail might not have been very apparent. It explains why manufacturers use a particular capacitor, and why they mount it as close to the ESC as possible. Basically, the lower the resistance (and ESR), the better.

Digikey.com has thousands of capacitors. What you are looking for is an aluminum polymer capacitor, with the above properties. Search for that kind of capacitor, with 16v rating, 330uf capacity, Through hole mounting. Then, look at your options, and choose the one with a low ESR. Be sure to look at the physical dimensions, to make sure it will fit in your vehicle. Cost goes down as you buy more, say 5, 10, 25, etc. Shipping will be around $8 or so.

Or, you can try a cap from another ESC, but with this there is uncertainty it will be better than the Tekin.

To prevent the leads from breaking in the future, apply plenty of rubbery glue to keep the cap from shaking. E6000 is a great glue that I have used.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Aether4E0A
You certainly can. However, you need to make sure you choose an equivalent or better capacitor than the one Tekin provided.

Your capacitor needs to be rated for 16v or higher, be 330uF, and have as low an ESR as possible. This third detail might not have been very apparent. It explains why manufacturers use a particular capacitor, and why they mount it as close to the ESC as possible. Basically, the lower the resistance (and ESR), the better.

Digikey.com has thousands of capacitors. What you are looking for is an aluminum polymer capacitor, with the above properties. Search for that kind of capacitor, with 16v rating, 330uf capacity, Through hole mounting. Then, look at your options, and choose the one with a low ESR. Be sure to look at the physical dimensions, to make sure it will fit in your vehicle. Cost goes down as you buy more, say 5, 10, 25, etc. Shipping will be around $8 or so.

Or, you can try a cap from another ESC, but with this there is uncertainty it will be better than the Tekin.

To prevent the leads from breaking in the future, apply plenty of rubbery glue to keep the cap from shaking. E6000 is a great glue that I have used.
Thanks for the response. The capacitor I'm looking at is Hobbywing I found on amain.com Same specifications. It's for the Hobbywing ESC. So, what's ESC?

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Did you mean ESR?

ESR stands for Equivalent Series Resistance. The smaller this resistance, the more current the capacitor can provide at any time.

Its like a straw for a soda. If you want to drink really fast, you want a big straw (low resistance). You could also use two straws to do this, and get double the drink (half the resistance).

In practicality, most capacitors would probably work fine.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Did you mean ESR?

ESR stands for Equivalent Series Resistance. The smaller this resistance, the more current the capacitor can provide at any time.

Its like a straw for a soda. If you want to drink really fast, you want a big straw (low resistance). You could also use two straws to do this, and get double the drink (half the resistance).

In practicality, most capacitors would probably work fine.
Be careful about what you choose.

Some people might be tempted to use the Super Capacitors because they see very large capacitance numbers, but super capacitors have a very high ESR and are not suitable for use on an RC speed control.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by ta_man
Be careful about what you choose.

Some people might be tempted to use the Super Capacitors because they see very large capacitance numbers, but super capacitors have a very high ESR and are not suitable for use on an RC speed control.
I was looking at the
Xerun Super Capacitor Module. Same specs as the stock cap. The 2 caps don't look that big. But, I'd like to be sure. I tried to include a link to the amain.come page but couldn't do it.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JayJayWalker
I was looking at the
Xerun Super Capacitor Module. Same specs as the stock cap. The 2 caps don't look that big. But, I'd like to be sure. I tried to include a link to the amain.come page but couldn't do it.
I found it: "Hobbywing Xerun Super Capacitor Module". That module looks fine. It is two polymer caps in parallel, they should work well. Just be sure to solder the wires properly, and that the wires are as short as possible.

Its called a "super capacitor module", but it does not use actual super capacitors; it consists of regular polymer caps. Hence, their ESR should be low enough.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

When I queried this with Tekin when I ran their esc's I was told to only use the stock caps, and that any other caps could cause issues, void warranties etc

Given the price of their gear I'd just use what they say.

Personally I've gone to another brand now which I have had a lot better luck with from a reliability standpoint particularly in 1/8
Old 06-30-2016, 06:07 PM
Tech Initiate

I found it: "Hobbywing Xerun Super Capacitor Module". That module looks fine. It is two polymer caps in parallel, they should work well. Just be sure to solder the wires properly, and that the wires are as short as possible.

Its called a "super capacitor module", but it does not use actual super capacitors; it consists of regular polymer caps. Hence, their ESR should be low enough.
Thanks for the information. I'll have to find space in my car to get those wires short. The b5m is very spacious when it comes to electronics. I'm assuming the short wiring has to do with the performance of the cap.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nexxus
When I queried this with Tekin when I ran their esc's I was told to only use the stock caps, and that any other caps could cause issues, void warranties etc

Given the price of their gear I'd just use what they say.

Personally I've gone to another brand now which I have had a lot better luck with from a reliability standpoint particularly in 1/8
I don't run 1/8, but I've seen lots of fires related to Tekin & 1/8. I hope my RSX doesn't cook my buggy