Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

ESC - Motor Turn Limit.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by DirkW
25 brushed motors, 25 brushless motors, 10 watt meters, 75 ESCs...

Are you serious? And what do you expect to find by spending all that money?
When I was younger, all those higher end racing parts and brushed motors were out of reach. Then, got busy living my life and had no time for toys.
Now, because of my son, I want see whats the RC car world like.

Its not going to be that expensive. But the list goes like that.

5 brushed motors up to £10 each.
5 brushed motors £10-20 each.
5 brushed motors £20-40 each.
5 brushed motors £40-80 each.
5 brushed motors up to £160 each.

Same price list applies to 25 burshless inrunners and also 25 outrunners.

Then 25 brushed ESC's, 25 Brushless and then 25 brushless boat/plane ESC.

I don't want that many servos to test, im not going to get more than 25 servos. So 1 servo should last as long as 3 motor/ESC combos. Well, that's what I hope.

I want to see and compare, what do you get for you money these days. How much better is a £160 component compared to cheap eBay parts.

75 Lipo batteries as well.

I understand that there are alot of motors and ESC that have been copied from big brands. Want to see the performance and reliability difference. Everything costs money in life, so its not going to be expensive as long as it puts a smile on my boys face.

Lipos are quite expensive. I think I found a way to increase battery capacity and run times and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Those new Graphene series batteries seem to work with laptop cells.
Graphene batteries seem to go up to 1000 life cycles. Pretty good number compared to standard lipos. Laptop cells can give you a great capacity and won't cost anything. Just those cells won't live long when connected to high current motor.
I have connected the laptop cells to the Graphene battery, so most of the power gets pulled from the lipo battery that's capable of feeding the motor because of the low resistance. Then the pack will balance itself. of course, there are other problems and Im aware of that but it was just one of the things I wanted to test. Those tests take time but it seems to work for now
7.4v 15,000mAh pack for $15 is not bad. If this "hybrid" lasts 200 cycles, then Im more than happy.
Already bought 100 laptop batteries. There's around 750 cells, plenty to play with.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:59 PM
BBJ
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW 75 motors, 75 ESC's and 'only' 25 servo's? That would last most people until the end of time. What do you hope to discover that doesn't appear within the specifications of this gear. Without lab-grade equipment, oscilloscopes, dyno's, etc. most people conducting this type of 'testing' can only report on 'feel' or user experience. Still, I wouldn't knock back an opportunity to play with that much gear. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 03-15-2017, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did Focal ever get to this point? Sorry I didn't use the search function.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Focal
When I was younger, all those higher end racing parts and brushed motors were out of reach. Then, got busy living my life and had no time for toys.
Now, because of my son, I want see whats the RC car world like.

Its not going to be that expensive. But the list goes like that.

5 brushed motors up to £10 each.
5 brushed motors £10-20 each.
5 brushed motors £20-40 each.
5 brushed motors £40-80 each.
5 brushed motors up to £160 each.

Same price list applies to 25 burshless inrunners and also 25 outrunners.

Then 25 brushed ESC's, 25 Brushless and then 25 brushless boat/plane ESC.

I don't want that many servos to test, im not going to get more than 25 servos. So 1 servo should last as long as 3 motor/ESC combos. Well, that's what I hope.

I want to see and compare, what do you get for you money these days. How much better is a £160 component compared to cheap eBay parts.

75 Lipo batteries as well.

I understand that there are alot of motors and ESC that have been copied from big brands. Want to see the performance and reliability difference. Everything costs money in life, so its not going to be expensive as long as it puts a smile on my boys face.

Lipos are quite expensive. I think I found a way to increase battery capacity and run times and it won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Those new Graphene series batteries seem to work with laptop cells.
Graphene batteries seem to go up to 1000 life cycles. Pretty good number compared to standard lipos. Laptop cells can give you a great capacity and won't cost anything. Just those cells won't live long when connected to high current motor.
I have connected the laptop cells to the Graphene battery, so most of the power gets pulled from the lipo battery that's capable of feeding the motor because of the low resistance. Then the pack will balance itself. of course, there are other problems and Im aware of that but it was just one of the things I wanted to test. Those tests take time but it seems to work for now
7.4v 15,000mAh pack for $15 is not bad. If this "hybrid" lasts 200 cycles, then Im more than happy.
Already bought 100 laptop batteries. There's around 750 cells, plenty to play with.

i would love to read about your findings. Any that you’d care to share?
Old 04-24-2019, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

Hate to burst your bubble about the graphene batteries but it's a miss concept, and a marketing ploy. When you look at the physics behind graphene and how lipos are made. It become apparent the it's not used. And only a marketing ploy. There only labeling then graphene as a way to indicate latest version of lipo batteries. Sadly there chemistry and /or engineering has not changed.there are far smarter guys out there that can explain why then me. The last way I can explain is is there is not room in the cells for graphene. You can't put 2lb shit in the 1lb bag aka the lipo. Bleave me don't bleave me.

Anyway if you want to try get a better understanding of esc limits and motor limits

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=shJGUe__h54&t=2399s

Has some good information on the matter. Far easier seen then explaining

Edit: reviving older post throw me off.

Last edited by killer rock; 04-24-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Smaller gauge longer wire or larger gauge shorter wire.

Being hand winding a lot of brushed motors in the day, if you wanted a high torque low turn motor you need to fill the rotor with as much copper as possible and on a double wind you don’t have to use the same gauge wire.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by killer rock

Edit: reviving older post throw me off.

Motors are always a hot topic