Community
Wiki Posts
Search

drift motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default drift motor

I am looking for a new drift motor since mine got burned out on the second run. what are good suggestions for a drift motor. I am a beginner. Trying to learn
Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use a Novak drift system in one car. Speed Passion Drif system in another. Both are sensored brushless systems.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Tech Rookie

is sensored better then sensorless? can those be reprogrammed?
Old 03-22-2016, 08:49 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Reino_3000
is sensored better then sensorless? can those be reprogrammed?
Sensored gives a much smoother throttle response. Most have some programming options. Haven't messed with programming any ESC, haven't really felt the need to.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh ok thank you...I never really messed with sensored things when it came to rc..I mainly do crawling. I am still running the stock electronics..and I never had problems with them, until I got my drift car. motor burned out after the second run. Eish. thats why I am looking for something that would burn out so quickly...thank you
Old 03-22-2016, 09:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh yeah...since I am just started to learn...I was looking at a 17.5 turn and 21.5 turn. are any of those good to start with?
Old 03-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Tech Prophet

What motor were you using that burned up? I ran basic 15t brushed motors for the first 6 months. An hour or more a day before going brushless.
What car are you using?
I went brushless because I'd peaked on brushed. Plus the painted plywood floor I run on had so much grip I need more. Was running 3/4 to full throttle on brushed. Rarely go more the 1/2 with the brushless. The Speed Passion system is a 10.5. The Novak I believe is a 13.5. I could have stayed brushed, but was practicing for an event that never happened.
RC drift really isn't about power. It's about throttle control, making the car slide where you want it to.

Sorry about the video quality. Here's my Sakura D3

https://youtu.be/TwJIcAYn8mg
Old 03-22-2016, 03:59 PM
Tech Rookie

its a 13t hackmoto motor
Old 03-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Tech Prophet

its a 13t hackmoto motor
Have zero knowledge of them. Read the name before. But that it. If it failed on the second run, then something is not right. In 70+ vehicles I've had less then 5 motors fail ever.
I'm still not used to using "turns" instead of the KV rating. I'm still running one of the 15t brushed motors I started with 3years ago. It's got easily 250 runs on it. Between 3 or 4 different vehicles. What caused motor to fail, did quick look up on them. Thought I read they could be rebuilt.
What car? Any touring car can be made to drift, with practice.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

I got a sakura d4. build it like the instructions said....when I bought the sakura d4. it came with that motor..hacktronic esc. a gyro..and servo. everything else works great accept for the motor...my dad opened up the motor. and had something melted in the motor..some kind of plastic. the plestic looked like a half moon when my dad got it out. You had to be here to see what happened.. I honestly cant tell you what happened
Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 AM
Tech Prophet

I got a sakura d4. build it like the instructions said....when I bought the sakura d4. it came with that motor..hacktronic esc. a gyro..and servo. everything else works great accept for the motor...my dad opened up the motor. and had something melted in the motor..some kind of plastic. the plestic looked like a half moon when my dad got it out. You had to be here to see what happened.. I honestly cant tell you what happened
Ok that gives a start. Either motor was defective. Or something in car is binding up, causing motor to overheat. Could be gear mesh, belts too tight, or others. Motor should not do that.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ghlight=Sakura

That should take you to thread here about the car. Might find some of the problems in there. Mine is the RWD version. I had problem with rear belt to tight. Rear diff was just a slight bit misaligned.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Thank you so much. I havent check the rear diff. I will do that. the belt is is the loosest I can have it. I appreciate the help a lot. thank you
Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Tech Prophet

Welcome. Give the car a good check over. And check that thread. I remember a few issues when it first came out. Motors should not fail that fast.
Once car is sorted out. Have fun. Surprising what you can learn from drifting. Even running solo.