Wiki Posts
Search

LIPOs...Discussion -

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Lightbulb LIPOs...Discussion -

Forum after Forum / Thread after Thread there are stories of people connecting ESC backwards due to the popularity of the Tube/Bullet connections on LiPo batteries and mostly smoke the ESCs (another potential exists to have a fire do to direct short when this happens if). Usually the only advice is to mark the batteries better, shorten wires so they can only reach in the correct polarity, why do we accept that this is the NORM - std 4mm for both the positive and negative sides of the cells? What if I like to run saddles, Square or Shorties depending on track conditions? I need to re-wire my ESC between every heat?

I can see when ESC manufactures will not build in reverse polarity protection 1) cost, 2)racers wouldn't need to replace them from backwards connections.

What is in it for the LiPo manufactures?

Every other industry has poke yokes in place... CELLPHONES, LAPTOPS, AUTO, ETC. You cant insert batter backwards in laptops, phones, etc. As mentioned above, even posts on 12v automotive batteries are 2 different diameters...

It would be just as easy to have the positive side 5mm and negative 4mm, built in Poke-Yoke. I have only seen a single company that is starting to do this (REDRC.NET - Article-just wish I could find where to order now.)

Any reason we cant get the rest of the LiPo Manufactures to change the 'NORM' to be pole-yokes packs? Will they follow customer request / demand as others have in the past for changes / corrections (XRAY rear hanger for XB4, Tekno (axle issue with some SCT410, among others - that realize the 'RIGHT' thing to do)

Thoughts? Agree / Disagree
Old 01-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Agree but also think that if you put the money into the hobby you should also put time into watching what you're doing. I run a few different company's packs and simply look at what I'm plugging into when I put my battery in.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Tech Regular

I plugged in a speedo backwards once!! Never did it again. I agree, if you want to race, and are passionate about it, you will pay attention to what you are doing. Everybody makes mistakes, the question is, do people learn from those mistakes, or keep doing them over and over again.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

I always triple check every connection before soldering/applying power to electronics. One mistake can lead to a pretty expensive fix (not to mention dangerous as well). It would be nice if there was protection built into every electrical component however that is not the case most times.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed, it'd be nice if battery manufacturers included some kind of polarity protection, but I think the main reason they don't is cost, those bullet/barrel connectors are likely the cheapest & most common type for them to get(& I think they like the low profile nature of them, being able to incorporate them into the hardcase). Honestly, I would've preferred if they were still using Deans connectors on everything....
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would think that a sharpie would be a simple solution to the problem. Simply add marks or hi-lite the existing markings on the battery. Also, shrink wrap. Just add a short piece of red to positive wire and black to negative.
Also I tend to think that changing the plugs would add the tendency to have to cut and replace plugs because not all manufacturers would conform to these expectations.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:14 AM
Regional Moderator

Its not that hard to look if its black or red on the battery and correctly connect the lead.

Also, if you setup your wires and battery orientation so that it only reaches one way, its near impossible to connect it backwards.

This pussification of pretty much everything in the world and blaming other people for our mistake is getting out of hand.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Deans Ultra Plug

Nuff said
Old 01-19-2016, 06:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rac3rX
Deans Ultra Plug

Nuff said
That works for me.

I've lived with myself long enough to know that, no matter how well marked, no matter how difficult I make it to plug a battery in backwards, it's just a matter of time before I do it anyway. And if I make it IMPOSSIBLE to plug in backwards, then... it will only take a little longer to do so.

I'm ashamed to admit how much time I've wasted trying to plug the Dean's connectors in backwards before realizing they only fit together the other way! Then I curse myself for being dumb, and thank the Dean's company that they just saved me another $100.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 AM
Suspended

to op you just mark the + side of the battery with a piece of RED TAPE or paint.. thats a quick fix that works..
Old 01-19-2016, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

lipo connectors are what the manufactures make you buy. Messing with connectors. Personnaly I've been using Dean over 20yrs. Any Deans style connector I'd trust, they plug in one-way.

You like bullets plugs! Go by color? Red and Black? Kind of confusing cuz some people not being aware. Use different size bullets, 3mm pos & 5mm neg. Or find manufacture who installs connector you want. MaxAmp do what connector you desire, expensive but reasonable.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

It all just comes down to cost.

I also recommend one just use the Deans plug if clumsy.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Someone said it earlier, and its the easiest thing to do - make it so that your battery wires only will reach the correct polarity. Then, you just need to make sure you put your battery in the correct way, and from there you cant misconnect it.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by HBRob
Someone said it earlier, and its the easiest thing to do - make it so that your battery wires only will reach the correct polarity. Then, you just need to make sure you put your battery in the correct way, and from there you cant misconnect it.
not all battery have the same geometry or plug layout...
I have a Commonsence lipo when facing front it has POS on drivers side in US and Neg passenger..On Others it is switched ..

Use a paint pen//nail polish / Red tape and make it very apparent to ur eyes. best way..
Old 01-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by howardcano
That works for me.

I've lived with myself long enough to know that, no matter how well marked, no matter how difficult I make it to plug a battery in backwards, it's just a matter of time before I do it anyway. And if I make it IMPOSSIBLE to plug in backwards, then... it will only take a little longer to do so.
I'm exactly the same way! That is why I use always use the Deans connectors. Even if I color code the wires, one day I'll be in a rush and accidentally cross them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.