Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just bought my first LiPo charger and PSU

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Just bought my first LiPo charger and PSU

So I got a chance to finally get to a real r/c race track last night and it inspired me to get LiPo batteries and a charger, some new tires, and look into a different esc/motor than what I've had in the past.

After talking with some of the guys locally I came home and did even more research on the Hitec x2 and the turnigy Reaktor 2x 300W chargers. These were the two I was looking at because they are between $100 - $125 for either one and they have ac/dc (optional for the reaktor but I wanted 2 channels and they don't have an ac/dc 2x one yet) and they have both gotten the nod from various users.

I ended up going with the Turnigy Reaktor 2x 300W mostly because of the power output. The Hitec will probably do what I want it for most of the time but I was thinking if I ever got a 6s with a high capacity i'll want the higher amp charging ability so Im not waiting forever for a battery to charge.

I was really wanting to have the ac/dc option so that I didn't have to take a power supply with me to the track but thinking about it, it's really not much more hassle to plug in 2 extra wires. I ended up getting the Turnigy 350W power supply. I like that I don't have to mod a server power supply right off the bat to get my charger to working with this, it's a straight forward affair.

(I would post a link but apparently I can't do that yet)

I may eventually try getting some server power supplies so I can have 24v+ to get the full output of the charger but I think this will suffice for now.

Has anyone got any experience with this power supply?
I didn't really research it since it was $45, has 3 good reviews on the site and should get here with my charger.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've learned a little since buying this, namely that almost everyone that races, only ever charges at 1c, almost always balance charges, and usually doesn't need the really high power of a monster charger.

That being said, I really like my charging setup so far though I haven't really gotten to use it too much. It has so many features though and that can get a little overwhelming.
it hasn't even gotten warm yet charging at 1c.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cerevo
I've learned a little since buying this, namely that almost everyone that races, only ever charges at 1c, almost always balance charges, and usually doesn't need the really high power of a monster charger.

That being said, I really like my charging setup so far though I haven't really gotten to use it too much. It has so many features though and that can get a little overwhelming.
it hasn't even gotten warm yet charging at 1c.
Not sure of your local track but most racers I have seen push 2 or 3 c at least with no problem. Maybe 1 C at home where you have the time, but between races time is of the essence