Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The right battery connector?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default The right battery connector?

So I was doing some reading on connectors because I'm in the market for new batteries. 90% of the time I'm running 4S (either 2x2S) or a single 4S brick.

My reading has led me to either go with EC5 or 5.5mm bullets - not dean's like I have been using (which I really don't like much - sparking/not that easy to connect i.e. sparking).

My question is if I go the bullet route, isn't that make it more likley that the battery will short itself out since there's no plastic to keep the connectors from touching? I mean I know you'll have shrink tubing on the ends but that can slide/etc.

I've also heard that EC5's are hard to pull apart...is this true...one reason I went to dean's is because of the ease of separation.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I've ran deans forever myself and don't see me changing that but.... have you checked out the castle creations battery connectors ? They appear to be very nice.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by hotrod87
I've ran deans forever myself and don't see me changing that but.... have you checked out the castle creations battery connectors ? They appear to be very nice.
Thanks - I'll check them out
Old 09-24-2015, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Deans I've been using 25yrs +. Makers have copied Deans. The only think I hated were the clones from China(bulk) clones, plastic melts early, and connectors not as smooth. For Deans, they now have a EZ solder couple that you can find on internet, even a Jig to solder.

EC5 seem good to use. Only thing is to watch where you purchase. On clones. Connectors solid or anodize cheaply, excessive pulling apart does the coating rubs off.

Deans been using so long, I cant see myself changing. As for them sparking, cars not too bad, but my aircraft, Heli large spark, fixed winged also. I installed spark arresters on my aircraft work fine. Car not as bad. Believe you can use spark arrestor on your car. Larger the lipos(3-6S) larger the spark.

Attached Photo: Clone & Original Deans, Jigs Up, and Solder couplers
Attached Thumbnails The right battery connector?-dscn1816.jpg   The right battery connector?-dscn1818.jpg   The right battery connector?-dscn1821.jpg  

Last edited by Geezatec; 09-24-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Deans I've been using 25yrs +. Makers have copied Deans. The only think I hated were the clones from China(bulk) clones, plastic melts early, and connectors not as smooth. For Deans, they now have a EZ solder couple that you can find on internet, even a Jig to solder.

EC5 seem good to use. Only thing is to watch where you purchase. On clones. Connectors solid or anodize cheaply, excessive pulling apart does the coating rubs off.

Deans been using so long, I cant see myself changing. As for them sparking, cars not too bad, but my aircraft, Heli large spark, fixed winged also. I installed spark arresters on my aircraft work fine. Car not as bad. Believe you can use spark arrestor on your car. Larger the lipos(3-6S) larger the spark.

Attached Photo: Clone & Original Deans, Jigs Up, and Solder couplers
Wow, I didn't know about that! Thanks for the info. I too have been using Deans for a very long time. In fact, I just replaced my bullet connectors to Deans last night on one of my chassis as I just prefer Deans for its convenience.

For soldering the Deans, I use something like this "helping hand" and clamp the foot to the bench top during the work.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=helping+hand
Old 09-24-2015, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I have used deans for as long as I can remember, but have been toying with the thought of running the big castle 6.5mm connector on my 4S packs. I already run 4mm bullets on anything 2S and that seems to be the right ticket there for me.

I think all I need is to get a little first hand feel with the castle ones to be sure I want to go that way, see how they feel connected and such. It is not an expensive conversion as long as it is an improvement.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbsmith05
My question is if I go the bullet route, isn't that make it more likley that the battery will short itself out since there's no plastic to keep the connectors from touching?
On the battery, they're 1 1/2" apart. Plenty of plastic between the posts.

Last edited by Andy Koback; 09-24-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried the deans and the ec3 I'm running the xt60 and tx90 connectors now and I like them.
Old 09-24-2015, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I recently changed all my stuff over to XT90. They are easy to solder and are good solid connectors. I am happy with them.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I use Deans on almost everything. I did get a setup that had XT60 in it and that's a good connector also. About the common ones that I don't like are the Tamiya and Traxxas connectors. I would vote for bullets too but i've seen people screw up and reverse polarity on them before. Both on ye old internet and across the table from me. (friend of mine almost fried his ESC yesterday when he wasn't paying attention and did it).
Old 09-30-2015, 03:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.headsuphobby.com/MPI-EZ-S...lugs-B-205.htm
Wow that changes my view on deans for sure. They were always a pain to solder.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Tech Adept

some 6.5MM Castle Connectors showed up today at my house...I'm going to give those a try. Expensive but they look nice!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Master

Kewl! JB!! Bigger connects at 6.5mm, always did like bigger connectors, less heat develops.

What happened with the Weird Radio Behavor problems you had last month?? Exchange the motor?

Later Bro!!!!
Old 10-01-2015, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Hi.. depends on your current needs. deans will handle up to 75 amps. found this out from testing ..
You also can use power poles.. or 6.5mm cc.. as for ec5 being hard to take apart . a simple pair of snap ring pliers will do the job..

and heat shrink tube will not move if applied correctly and if its Good grade..
Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tesla
Hi.. depends on your current needs. deans will handle up to 75 amps. found this out from testing ..
You also can use power poles.. or 6.5mm cc..
I don't like Deans, never have. Too hard to solder, connect/disconnect, and I don't think they look nice either. I've been using Power Poles for like 20 years since I got started in the hobby. Have always performed well and never had an issue. Used them on everything from 1/14 to 1/8 scale. Another great thing is that you can split the connector poles for use with multiple packs like 2x2s in series or parallel.

I've purchased a few RCs that came with XT60s. They are a nice connector also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.