Wiki Posts
Search

ESC XCAR 120a

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 03:49 AM
Tech Regular

Default ESC XCAR 120a

Wondering if u can help guys....
Racing 2wd buggy ,xcar 120a and Turnigy nano-tech Ultimate 6000mah 2S3P 90C Hardcase Lipo Saddle Pack.
Is it normal for a ESC to loose his punch about 3 minutes in during a 5 minutes race? For about the first 3 minutes I can feel the punch burst all around the track especially once I it the long straight.... but then I can see and feel the car having less punch burst for the rest of the race.
Someone suggested disabling heat protection on the ESC as this can be the problem?
Thanx
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by guinnes.s
Wondering if u can help guys....
Racing 2wd buggy ,xcar 120a and Turnigy nano-tech Ultimate 6000mah 2S3P 90C Hardcase Lipo Saddle Pack.
Is it normal for a ESC to loose his punch about 3 minutes in during a 5 minutes race? For about the first 3 minutes I can feel the punch burst all around the track especially once I it the long straight.... but then I can see and feel the car having less punch burst for the rest of the race.
Someone suggested disabling heat protection on the ESC as this can be the problem?
Thanx
I'd say that's normal, to a degree-- easier to feel the higher turn motor you are using. Very apparent in stock, becomes less obvious with stronger motors.

Make sure you aren't overheating your motor. If the internal temperature of the motor is jumping all the way to 150-160+ after 3 minutes, that could be what you are feeling. Hot motors, to me, feel less sharp and kind of mushy with no punch.

Temp your ESC too, make sure it isn't hitting the danger zone after a short run. I would not disable the thermal protections, as I doubt that will have a performance impact, but it isn't very difficult to try that out.

Make sure that none of your wires are getting hot. Hot wires indicate either a bad connection with lots of resistance, or you aren't using large enough wire.

If you are running a stock class, shed some weight and try again. The heavier my stock buggy was, the more it would struggle later in the race.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Thanx for the reply, currently using a 7.5 trackstar motor ,the temp after 5 Minutes racing was around 115 and it was a sunny hot day. What's the temperature that I should look for on the ESC after a run ?what is the Max ? Thanx
Old 08-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

That ESC is tough. If you have the fan on it, it should be fine with a 7.5 in 2wd all day and night, even with boost. I find it odd that you are loosing punch. I would look closer at the battery and individual cell voltages first. Then, I would be looking at ESC temps. If those check out, go into the settings and check out LVC settings.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by guinnes.s
Thanx for the reply, currently using a 7.5 trackstar motor ,the temp after 5 Minutes racing was around 115 and it was a sunny hot day. What's the temperature that I should look for on the ESC after a run ?what is the Max ? Thanx
That's not very hot for the motor. I like to top out around 160-170F for motors, 150-160F for ESCs. I only run Trackstar ESCs and have 5-6 of their red can motors, and I don't think either fade unexpectedly. Max temps for motors can range over 200F, but I would never want to push my gear that hard. If my ESC got over 160 regularly I would be looking to mount a fan.

When I was running a 7.0 in my stadium truck it would be absolutely ballistic when the battery was just off the charger at 8.40v. I'd say after about 2-3 minutes, the punch drops off a bit and throttle delivery becomes more mellow and consistent. I usually don't feel like my car is getting 'slow' until I've taken a bit more than half the capacity out of the battery.

An oddball thing I've seen happen twice recently is too loose of a slipper. If you run your slipper too loose, eventually the pads and plates will heat up to a point that they no longer provide much friction and slip more, which causes more heat. Eventually the car will not want to go and feels like there is something wrong with the ESC, motor, or battery.