Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Is it safe to keep LiPos in the garage during summer? >

Is it safe to keep LiPos in the garage during summer?

Is it safe to keep LiPos in the garage during summer?

Old 06-08-2015, 11:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default Is it safe to keep LiPos in the garage during summer?

Is it safe? I live in southern CA so it doesn't bake too bad where I live.

All storage charged for now.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would try to keep them inside if possible in a lipo safe bag but it all depends on how hot it gets your garage
Old 06-09-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How hot does it get in your garage? I would really avoid keeping them in the house unless it's getting to like 100 in your garage. Always in a lipo bag regardless of where they are though.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

105* soon here in Sacramento. Lipo bag for sure, but inside or garage?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 280 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Finalist
105* soon here in Sacramento. Lipo bag for sure, but inside or garage?
In your basement would be the coolest if you have one.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Don't store them anywhere that gets hot. I left a box full of 1s packs in my real car for a couple weeks during the summer and ALL of them puffed up. These were all race run packs and several different brands so they were not defective.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I keep mine in an ammo can on the floor of the garage, has been fine. Stays cool due to being inside and on the concrete.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Don't store them anywhere that gets hot. I left a box full of 1s packs in my real car for a couple weeks during the summer and ALL of them puffed up. These were all race run packs and several different brands so they were not defective.
Yeah, the inside of your car gets super hot ...easily 150degrees on a 90degree day outside. That will certainly destroy a lipo battery).

100-105 degrees in your garage and out of direct sun/light should be okay,
BUT i'd definitely keep them in lipo bags out of direct sunlight and for extra precaution put in an ammo can or clay pot.

I've kept them in my garage for years in lipo bags, even on 100degree days the garage prob gets to 90-95degrees ...they've always been fine.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Tech Adept

Yes it should be safe in the garage assuming it is not getting above 110F. Yes they can actually go higher but do you really want to store something at a max charge temp? The cooler area that you can store them in the longer they will last you.

1. I recommend some sort of lipo sack or ammo can or something that could contain a fire if there was some sort of incident. Your house burning with you in it would be bad. Odds are it will never happen but if it did.

2. Not in a window or area the sun shines directly on.

3. In a Fridge(Long Term Storage) > In an AC controlled house or building > Garage > Outside in the direct sun.

To me the garage is no safer than in the house. My garage attaches to my house. So if it burns so does my house.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

any manufacturer will recommend room temperature for storage, so my thought on the garage is "No".

Is it a big deal to charge in the garage or do the work out there, likely not an issue as it is not long term exposure and likely not as harsh as the temps from use.

But it would not be where I store them. If you are worried about a fire, a fire in the garage can still burn the whole house down.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lbenton
any manufacturer will recommend room temperature for storage, so my thought on the garage is "No".

Is it a big deal to charge in the garage or do the work out there, likely not an issue as it is not long term exposure and likely not as harsh as the temps from use.

But it would not be where I store them. If you are worried about a fire, a fire in the garage can still burn the whole house down.
Agreed, & I can also say(knock on wood) that in the 6 years or so I've been using LiPos, I've always kept them in my bedroom, & I've yet to have one burn up or go boom(I have seen one or two puff a bit, but I don't think it had anything to do with environment, moreso the way I treated them, like leaving one sitting with a full charge in for a LONG time). As long as they're treated right, they should be fine in the house...
Old 06-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Adept

Hey thanks for the replies! I keep them in the garage with no Lipo bag. I do though keep them in a fire panel box which is UL listed and fire rated. It doesnt get too hot in the garage but I just dont feel safe keeping them in the house.

Does anyone else keep them in the garage. I actually have a few brand new LiPos never used that I keep bare in the garage with no protection. Is this bad or are new LiPos less likely to explode or catch fire for no reason? Thanks.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by c00lguy
Hey thanks for the replies! I keep them in the garage with no Lipo bag. I do though keep them in a fire panel box which is UL listed and fire rated. It doesnt get too hot in the garage but I just dont feel safe keeping them in the house.

Does anyone else keep them in the garage. I actually have a few brand new LiPos never used that I keep bare in the garage with no protection. Is this bad or are new LiPos less likely to explode or catch fire for no reason? Thanks.
As I mentioned above, I keep them in the garage on the floor in an ammo can, just in case. My personal opinion is as long as your garage is generally below 100 deg F, which is considered the upper end of safe temp for lipos, you should be fine. Recommend keeping them in something metal though just in case.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Unfortunately I am just a regular Joe and do not have a/c in the garage. No Lipo storage in there for me, but I suppose if in a metal sealed box on the floor, might be okay.

I keep mine in the basement in a firesafe bag inside an oily trashcan.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

+1 for the garage,
my garage gets to about 90degrees max on the hottest 105degree days. Left alone Lipos are actually quite stable, they are not likely to spontaneously explode or catch fire. Its good to be cautious, but I think people freak out a bit w/ lipos. I've seen 2 actually catch fire and in both cases it was at a race event, ...I believe they were over-charged or over drained ...or had some other issue w/ relation to being run. NEVER have I seen a lipo catch fire or explode from sitting. ...extreme heat would be my only concern, and extreme I mean above 120 degrees but more like 135ish or higher would concern me. ...heck after a race my batteries are probably about 100 degrees from normal running.