Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
6-Pole Motor, TenShock, Reliable? Timing? >

6-Pole Motor, TenShock, Reliable? Timing?

6-Pole Motor, TenShock, Reliable? Timing?

Old 06-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 6-Pole Motor, TenShock, Reliable? Timing?

I have only ever used 4-pole motors on all of my 1/10 and 1/8 scale rigs. They are mostly Leopard sensorless motors which have worked very well for me. I also have an RC8.2e buggy with a sensored Tekin T8 (original Gen 1) that is very powerful and smooth as silk. I'm happy with all of those motors.

I just purchased an upgraded (used) Associated Rival MT that needs a motor and ESC. I'm half-way tempted to purchase a Tenshock X802L V2 (sensorless) motor, size 4274 and run it with a 150a Hobbywing EZRun ESC just to see if I can feel any difference. The motors cost about $100, so price is not an issue - it seems very fair. The Hobbywing ESC is a no-brainer to me because it's what I use on everything, even with the Tekin sensored motor (XERUN 150A).

Has anyone here run Tenshock motors on anything? I wonder how reliable they are. Also, I read a few reports that the 6-pole design can actually confuse an ESC and cause problems. I supposed that could be a timing issue. If someone has experienced this and sorted it out, I'd love to hear about it.

Your advice is sought and appreciated.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The 4-Pole motor is standard practice and does a great job. I for one would not worry about trying to run a 6-Pole motor for any reason beyond the novelty of it. At the very least I can not see it easing up the demand on the ESC or battery, I would imagine that heat would be a real fear.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I have a 2150 kv 6-pole motor in my LX2e monster buggy thing and it's awesome. Doesn't run hot unless I'm really lacing into it in taller grass. Love it. I'm running it with a Trackstar Gen. II 150a ESC on 4s. Wonderful motor, no problems with it. IIRC, a lot of people have trouble running a 6-pole motor with higher voltage batteries (5s, 6s, etc.). Some ESCs, at that voltage, have trouble with controlling the motor phases and reach a premature throttle limit then act up. If you're running 4s, I don't think you'll have any trouble.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mwildmann
I have a 2150 kv 6-pole motor in my LX2e monster buggy thing and it's awesome... IIRC, a lot of people have trouble running a 6-pole motor with higher voltage batteries (5s, 6s, etc.). Some ESCs, at that voltage, have trouble with controlling the motor phases and reach a premature throttle limit then act up. If you're running 4s, I don't think you'll have any trouble.
Thanks for the reply based on actual usage! Also, your last few sentences triggered my less-than-stellar memory on what I'd previously read. I now remember that he said he had tried 5S and his motor got crazy hot. Then he went back to 4S and it was really good.

Since he was using the Tenshock branded 6-pole motor, he wrote to the manufacturer. They wrote back and gave him some ideas about timing and gearing. According to them, the timing needs to be higher for a buggy but lower for a truggy or monster truck. He was running a monster truck, so he played around with the timing and ended up at a rather low timing of 5 using stock gearing. The result was a good running motor that was a bit warmer than his leopard, under the same conditions, but also a bit stronger. He said it was not an in-your-face night-and-day difference, though. It was subtle. That's not worth it to me, so I think I may just stick with my tried and true 4-pole motors.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MailManX
Thanks for the reply based on actual usage! Also, your last few sentences triggered my less-than-stellar memory on what I'd previously read. I now remember that he said he had tried 5S and his motor got crazy hot. Then he went back to 4S and it was really good.
You're welcome. If I was going to do it again, I'm not sure if I would go with the motor that I did. It was a great deal and that's why I jumped on it and don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I did. I bought it before I knew that 6-pole motors can cause issues with ESCs, I got lucky that my combo works. If you want a system that's guaranteed to work right, your best bet might be to stick with a 4-pole. IIRC, most of the accounts of 6-pole motors acting up were with Hobbywing ESCs although I don't remember which model specifically.