Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
New radio= faster laps? >

New radio= faster laps?

New radio= faster laps?

Old 03-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Tech Lord

Once I made a HRS to normal converter so I was able to use analog servo's on a high framerate system.

On a scope it shows like this:

Above the HRS input and under the normal output and every pulse is information for the servo. As you can see in the blank time an analog servo needs you are missing several pulses. The missing pulses could obtain small movements or a slow (but bulding up) movement which is not noticed by the servo or transferred in more schocking steps.

The high framerate does simply give a better, faster and smoother control of the car.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Okay, you take this stuff way too seriously.

I'm just jealous I can't put that much time in.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
That's actually very true but there is another problem to contend with. Cheap radios with high latency also tend to have a big variance in the latency, especially if they also have a low frame rate. A fast, high frame rate radio might have an average latency of say 4ms with a high of 6 and a low of 2 so the biggest difference you will ever see from one input to the next is 4ms. A cheap radio might have an average latency of 20ms but it varies from 12 to 30. That's not good. If it was 20ms EVERY SINGLE TIME, no problem at all but if one corner it responds in 12 and the next corner 28, you will struggle with consistency.
Yah, I was referring to my 4PKS-R in analog mode. I have no issue running my analog servo's. Yes there is a slight delay when compared back to back with my digital servo's with the same 0.11sec/60 but it's not enough to really make a fuss about it at least for me.

Originally Posted by Dave H
Get used to minor latency? Perhaps on a clean lap, adjust turn in. But what about unexpected slides, traffic not working as expected, etc?
Or I'm probably just driving slower than you so that 15-20ms delay is not affecting my driving.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jiml
Okay, you take this stuff way too seriously.

I'm just jealous I can't put that much time in.
Me? Oh no. I am a guy who want to race cheap and want to try stuff from outside the box. This was just to use a modern transmitter with some old high performance servo's. 2 euro electronics is much cheaper than 60 euro digital servo's....
Old 03-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by wingracer
No I don't because I have never seen proper independent tests on car radios however if you do some searching you can find lots of tests on plane radios. Heli guys seem particularly preoccupied with latency. The variance on some plane radios is disturbing.

Also it doesn't take tests to realize that lower frame rates are going to have more variance. Just think about it.

Also, I use the word "cheap" as a generalization but it isn't really accurate. I'm sure some cheap radios perform quite well (MT4 for example) while some expensive ones are junk.
Wouldn't rate the MT4 as a cheap radio.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:06 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sakadachi

Or I'm probably just driving slower than you so that 15-20ms delay is not affecting my driving.
More likely, I need all the help I can get!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin
Wouldn't rate the MT4 as a cheap radio.
I cant see a $250 Tx as cheap either, maybe he was referring to the MX-V.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Cheap is subjective. I would consider an mt4 cheap if I have an m12, or a 4pl cheap if I'm running a 4px.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I went from a dx3r to a 4px. for the last year I was averaging middle of the pack, which was frustrating for me, as I been running 8th scale for 10 years lol...

So for the last few races I have improved HUGE... Im more consistent, I will say I do belive my lap times have been faster. Normally Id call BS on a statement like that but.... Switching to the new radio on the same layout, there was a section that I was trying to land-gas-brake before a turn... well I couldnt do that but I could see others doing it. Once I got the 4px, I could as it responded faster. Now I understood how others got thru that section so fast.

Im also def not making as many mistakes and thats a huge help... being able to catch a bobble before it causes a marshal to get you is priceless.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Tech Lord

Once I helped a guy with a DX3R. Het was not happy with his transmitter so I walked through the settings. I noticed his framerate was set to 16.5msec. As he did not know what the setting actually does I changed it to 5.5msec and he noticed the change in feeling, it was much better. It would not supprise me more users are not using the fast framerate setting.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:50 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Roelof
Once I helped a guy with a DX3R. Het was not happy with his transmitter so I walked through the settings. I noticed his framerate was set to 16.5msec. As he did not know what the setting actually does I changed it to 5.5msec and he noticed the change in feeling, it was much better. It would not supprise me more users are not using the fast framerate setting.
Yes, this is very important to note. I would guess 70% of the users hardly use or explore the full capabilities of any radio.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for all this information
Old 04-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
More likely, I need all the help I can get!
Same here! I try to use the lowest frame rate as well(5.5 on a Spektrum SR2000rx). It would be sad to get a new radio and find out the old one was faster than you thought, as in lowering the frame rate.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Radio

One thing I have definitely experienced is that older radios tend to lose their centering precision. Whether it is the potentiometer, the connection to the potentiometer or the linkage centering the steering, it becomes difficult to get the servo trimmed correctly and constantly needs adjustment. If your car slightly wanders a different direction every time you turn, it makes it very difficult to be consistent when you have to correct for it.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I went from one of those Flysky radios to a KO KIY and instantly got better. Kinda miss the $6 Flysky receivers though. KO's are salty!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.