Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 & 4s Charger

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 3 & 4s Charger

Dusting off some old parts and buying plenty of new parts to get back into the RC game! Very light track use. Mostly bashing my Losi SCTE.

Running the Castle 2650/MM combo and looking to focus on 3 & 4s, 6500mah 60c batteries. I've always simply used friends chargers but I've done my best to educate myself towards purchasing my own. It's becoming difficult to come to a conclusion on a charger though. Wattage seems to be key and I'm not looking to break $100 if possible. But I won't shoot myself in the foot either!

I've seen a lot of recommendations but can't sway myself one way or the other and I apologize as I know it's been discussed heavily. I'm looking to stick with AC/DC. One example is the Thunder AC680.

Eagerly awaiting opinions on brand, integrity and capabilities for a charger to suit my needs! Thanks, guys!
Old 02-19-2015, 04:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

that charger will take a long time to charge a 6500 4s battery. it will only do roughly 3.5 - 4amps max on a 4s at 80w.
finding a charger in your price range that can properly charge a large mah 3s and 4s battery will be hard to find unless you buy used. you're really looking at needing a $150-$200 charger(in an AC version) to get the kind of output required to properly charge those large packs. a dc version usually has more output capabilities because an external power supply is usually a lot more powerful. but you're looking at $80-100 typical for one. old server power supplies work well and are around $50 I think.

its not just time of charge to think about. you have to have a proper amp input to the battery. I have an instruction sheet with my new 6500 4s smc racing batteries that say do not charge less than 1c. to do that I would need a charger that would charge at min 6.5 amps. probably looking at 150-200w just to get the 6.5 amps into a 4s.

so this has had me researching new charges. I've come to the conclusion the Icharger 308 duo is probably one of the best all around chargers on the market. if I didn't need to charge up large cap 4s batteries I wouldn't need it. but this dude has tons of power(800w and 30A) and my current power supply should be enough to get mine at 6.5A.

Last edited by mtpocketsracing; 02-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I just got this one- http://www.ebay.com/itm/191395399567...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT to go along with my X200. they will both charge a 4s over 6.5a.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mtpocketsracing
that charger will take a long time to charge a 6500 4s battery. it will only do roughly 3.5 - 4amps max on a 4s at 80w.
finding a charger in your price range that can properly charge a large mah 3s and 4s battery will be hard to find unless you buy used. you're really looking at needing a $150-$200 charger(in an AC version) to get the kind of output required to properly charge those large packs. a dc version usually has more output capabilities because an external power supply is usually a lot more powerful. but you're looking at $80-100 typical for one. old server power supplies work well and are around $50 I think.

its not just time of charge to think about. you have to have a proper amp input to the battery. I have an instruction sheet with my new 6500 4s smc racing batteries that say do not charge less than 1c. to do that I would need a charger that would charge at min 6.5 amps. probably looking at 150-200w just to get the 6.5 amps into a 4s.

so this has had me researching new charges. I've come to the conclusion the Icharger 308 duo is probably one of the best all around chargers on the market. if I didn't need to charge up large cap 4s batteries I wouldn't need it. but this dude has tons of power(800w and 30A) and my current power supply should be enough to get mine at 6.5A.
The AC680 was a jumping off point for sure. Excellent job at steering me in a better direction! That 308 is a beast! $200+ is tough for me to swallow while simply testing my interest in the hobby once again.Thanks to you, though, my logic fights me on accepting anything less lol!

I just got this (insert url) to go along with my X200. they will both charge a 4s over 6.5a.
Price seems almost too good to be true! I've been searching diligently for sub $100, high watt, AC charger with good backing for days. Seeing that you now own 2 products from this manufacturer, how do you feel about the items quality and dependability? Any others have opinions on the X180? Satisfying my instant gratification with a sub $100 AC charger for my setup definitely seems more bleak now lol :O/

EDIT:
I decided to check out a few "how-to's" using computer PSU's and it seems very straight forward and not quite the trouble that it initially sounds. At this point is seems I could land a middle of the road DC charger (such as the X180 or other recommendations) and use one of my old PSU's and come out with a few extra bucks in my pocket. If I'm not quite ready to convert my 550w unit to a lipo charger just yet, what wattage should I look to pick up and what should I look out for?

On a side note (as i look more into DC) I see reasonably priced power supply's at HK. I'm assuming these are simply more cumbersome?

Last edited by 5niner; 02-19-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 5niner
The AC680 was a jumping off point for sure. Excellent job at steering me in a better direction! That 308 is a beast! $200+ is tough for me to swallow while simply testing my interest in the hobby once again.Thanks to you, though, my logic fights me on accepting anything less lol!

Price seems almost too good to be true! I've been searching diligently for sub $100, high watt, AC charger with good backing for days. Seeing that you now own 2 products from this manufacturer, how do you feel about the items quality and dependability? Any others have opinions on the X180? Satisfying my instant gratification with a sub $100 AC charger for my setup definitely seems more bleak now lol :O/

EDIT:
I decided to check out a few "how-to's" using computer PSU's and it seems very straight forward and not quite the trouble that it initially sounds. At this point is seems I could land a middle of the road DC charger (such as the X180 or other recommendations) and use one of my old PSU's and come out with a few extra bucks in my pocket. If I'm not quite ready to convert my 550w unit to a lipo charger just yet, what wattage should I look to pick up and what should I look out for?
I have used the X200 for a couple of years with no problems whatsoever. I bought the 180 because I really like how much easier it is to use than a charger with the 4 button layout.
On another note, don't use a PC supply. For the same or less money you can get a server supply The PC supplies don't hold their voltage as well and the server supplyies are made to run 24-7.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-HP-...item1c4e631d8c
And the article that walks you through converting it:
http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174225
Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks! I'm getting away from the AC only idea now lol. Would purchasing one of the midrange (350watt) supply's from HK or otherwise along with something like the X180 get me to a good place or am I completely off? This would keep it a bit more "idiot" proof for myself if so.

Last edited by 5niner; 02-20-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

That would work fine.
Here is the one I bought for charging 4s packs to have more voltage than a 12v supply.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chargery-Pow...item43d2f26ed5

Last edited by DRTMI; 02-20-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks again for your reply! I feel a lot better at this point. I'm going to sit on it for the weekend and look to pair the 180 with the S600 you mentioned and call it a day!
Old 02-21-2015, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Any opinions on the icharger 106B+ vs the HK X200? They are both the same price. For my application I realize 200watts will be all that I truly need. Is it simply an extra 50w in one hand or a touchscreen in the other? If so....I dig the touchscreen.

EDIT:
It seems to me (for future proofing) that a dual charger and probably 3 batteries or a single charger and roughly 4 batteries could keep me going almost nonstop (theoretically). So here's what I'm considering at this point

1) Turnigy MEGA 400 or imax 400 plus HK 540 and (3) batts.... put's me around $395.

2) Single HK200 or 106B plus HK540 and (3) batts which would leave room for me to add another single down the road. But this would ultimately put me around $425.

3) Single HK200 or 106B plus HK350 and (4) batts.... put's me around $385.

If the HK350, 25A will suffice for options 1 & 2, I can save an additional $25.

Any logic to my madness or am I over-thinking it all lol?

Last edited by 5niner; 02-21-2015 at 06:11 PM.