R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 02-04-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Broadcasting race info locally over WiFi.

I need some help. In the past we had a club member who set up a local network at the track that was used for broadcasting our laptop scoring over wifi. That member is no longer with the club and we would like to be able to do this again.
Here's what I know. We have an RC4 decoder, a wireless router, a laptop that was used as our primary computer and a desk top computer that was used "handle the load" as well as run a small monitor that was attached to the side of our timing building. We do not have internet access. Our router was sending out a signal, someone in the pits could connect to our wireless net work and in the address bar of their browser enter an IP address. Once is was opened the racer could see the same thing on their screen as we were seeing in the timing building.

Like I said, that member is no longer with the club and we do not know how to re-set up the hardware to make it work. Has anyone else done this or know how to make it work?
R6cj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It sounds to me like the desktop was acting as a server, and might have been formatting data from the racePC then serving it out as a web page.

Without knowing what race software you use, I'm guessing that the race data from the race PC is a shared folder, and the desktop PC can access that data, format it, and serve it as a webpage. Users can then access the webpage and view the data.

What race software are you using, and was the data displayed on a remote user's screen the same as what was on the timing PC display?

There are ways of doing this, but if you are using RCscoring pro, it doesn't do this in it's native form, and requires another peice of software to format the race data for external viewing.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

So the main computer was working as a HTTP server. That machine must have a static IP adres which you can publish to make contact with.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

We are currently using B&B.
Yes I know there was a static IP address involved. Everybody that wanted to see the race screen was given the same IP address.
R6cj69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There's a scoreboard program for B&B Autoscore that runs on Windows. If someone in the pits had this program installed and used the IP address of the main scoring computer, their scoreboard would update.

Does this sound familiar? If not, then I'm not sure what they did.

But if this sounds right...anyone can download the Scoreboard program from http://www.bnbautoscore.com/

There's lots of ways of getting the IP address of the scoring system, but Autoscore makes it easy. Just click on Help and on the bottom of the help screen is the IP address.

Hopefully nothing else has changed in the network setup and this is all that needs to be done.
GerryH is offline   Reply With Quote