The Death of a Battery?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Death of a Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Tech Master

Lipo's not like NiMh. Minimum voltages on lipo are 6v, 3v per cell. Most models they have a cut-off voltage on ESC. To make it simple set up cut off @ 6.2v or any type of glitch on model, Stop and recharge. Basic lipo maintenance.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I charged the battery to 7.6 volts, and it seems happy enough. I didn't want to try to fully charge it as I cannot run the car and that Onyx charger does not have a discharge function. Only time will tell if it was a fluke or if the battery is going to discharge on its own again.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

Like you said the onyx 150 is cheap. you don't want to fully charged. You want 6v or 3v per cell is good enough. Then use cheapy onyx to 4.2v per cell. Purchase better charger and learn the lipo chemistry. Interesting hobby!!
Old 12-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

min voltage is 2.8v, not 3v . This is min, not recommended if you want it last .
You can go below that & still have a usable batt
You can leave the batt fully charged for 9months+ & still have a usable batt (dont ask how I know)
Or you can follow correct batt procedures & still have it fail in 6 months

If it works, keep it as a spare/practice/fun/basher batt.
A usuable batt is not the same as a race spec batt

Also, get a low voltage beeper, thats the best $10 you'll spend. Stop AS SOON AS IT BEEPS , as voltage can drop rapidly after that.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Many different slight variations to lithium cells.

The current Lipos we are using do not like to go below 3.2V per cell. And IMO from the testing I have done anything below 3.5V hurts cycle life considerably.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Master

There a reason why I say 3v. 2C to 6C lipos using balance charger. You discharge lipos. One cell on a 2C lipo are different. no lipo are the same. One lipo cell could discharge to 2.8v the other 3.2v avg 3v. Up to 6C avg will be 3v. Try your balance charger with individual cell readings. You can see. Lipos & LiFe batteries much difference than NiCd & NiMh. Lipo with punch and less weight hobbyist looks at, especially airplanes. We came along way from beginning. lipo had the problem of fire and explosions. Knowing the science of lipos make it easier to understand.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Build tough with Chevy stuff

I just use a cheapo charger and a lower grade venom battery (I only use venom batterys) and if it craps out I will just buy a new one. I always thought more batterys of a lower grade is better since if one goes out its just a twenty dollar loss instead of a sixty dollar loss.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Meme
I just use a cheapo charger and a lower grade venom battery (I only use venom batterys) and if it craps out I will just buy a new one. I always thought more batterys of a lower grade is better since if one goes out its just a twenty dollar loss instead of a sixty dollar loss.
Or it could be a really expensive loss if the battery burns down your home.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

you never take any lipo to 3volts a cell not good info they should be stored at 3.72 volts a cell and no less.. to revive a lipo try using nimh mode watch battery voltage go up to around 3.70volts a cell then use lipo balance mode.. it does not matter how many C it is..lipos are all the same ..100c or 2c..still same inside..