Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Power supply question and high amp charging >

Power supply question and high amp charging

Power supply question and high amp charging

Old 11-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Power supply question and high amp charging

I have a converted server power supply that the specs are, 12V-75Amp-900 watts. Would you guys recommend one of the icharger duo's or the Powerlab setups or something entirely else, I guess I'm asking what would work best with the power supply I have? I'm a little lost with all the high amp chargers these days and trying to read up on them but figured I would get some opinions. I charge medium to large capacity 2s lipo's and some 4s packs from 4-6000mah, all SMC packs. Thanks for any input to help me decide what will work best for me.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan.J
I have a converted server power supply that the specs are, 12V-75Amp-900 watts. Would you guys recommend one of the icharger duo's or the Powerlab setups or something entirely else, I guess I'm asking what would work best with the power supply I have? I'm a little lost with all the high amp chargers these days and trying to read up on them but figured I would get some opinions. I charge medium to large capacity 2s lipo's and some 4s packs from 4-6000mah, all SMC packs. Thanks for any input to help me decide what will work best for me.
If you start doing high amp charging (20+ amps) with 4s packs then wire up a couple server power supplies in series. Much easier on the charger than using a 12v power supply.

I've been charging 4s packs at 20 amps for around 3 years now with two server power supplies wired in series. Has worked well.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, So a 24V power supply is easier on the charger then a high amp 12V unit like I have? This is where things start to confuse me. I'm not looking for 40amp charges on a 4s pack but would like to do 15- 20amp safley on say 5-6000mah 4s and 20amp charges on big 2s packs.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Always remember the equation:

Volts x Amps = Watts

So charging a 4s pack at 20 amps is roughly 360 watts (16v x 20a = 360w). Watts going out must equal watts coming in plus around 10% extra for charger in-efficiency. Not worrying about the charger in-efficiency, a 12v power supply would need to put out around 30 amps. While a 24v power supply would need to put out only 15 amps.

Try to charge two 4s packs at 20 amps with your 12v power supply and you are getting pretty close to it's limit. Also, higher amps going into a charger is harder on the charger than lower amps.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:04 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks, makes sence.