Wiki Posts
Search

question about sensroed esc compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default question about sensroed esc compatibility

I'm trying to figure out what's going on with one of the set ups I tried.

Had an older LRP Sphere Comp esc laying around and I tried to hook up a Tekin Pro4 4600kv motor. It powered on like normal, but when I gave it throttle, it made the normal high pitched sound but the motor wouldn't move.

My initial thought was that the esc won't run a 4-pole motor? But is there a difference in sensor-based esc's where some will run 4-pole and others won't?

Then I got to thinking that the symptoms that occurred with the Pro4 were identical to when I forgot to plug in the sensor cable on my X-12 8.5 (what I normally run this esc with). Apparently this esc won't run non-sensored motors at all.So that got me to thinking that maybe it's not that the esc couldn't run the 4-pole motor, but maybe something is wrong with the sensor board in the Pro4 motor.

I soldered the 8.5 motor back on and it worked perfect. I also soldered the Pro4 back to the MMP and it ran fine. But the MMP will run sensor and non motors. Which brings up another question. How do I know if this motor is running in sensored mode?

Sorry for all the questions. It's just all stuffed that has crossed my mind within the past hour.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Ok, how about this: Can anyone confirm if the LRP Sphere Comp will or will not run a 4-pole motor?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

My understanding is that all of them can run four pole. The esc doesn't know or care.