Do I really need the iCharger 306B?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do I really need the iCharger 306B?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

Default Do I really need the iCharger 306B?

I guess what i am asking is, will the 106B good enough for my needs or will i be missing something that the 306B offers that the 106B does not? Is the only diff between the two chargers a matter of power and not functionality?

I am charging 2S lipos and 6 cell NiMH only. I guess there is always a possibility that i will charge larger batteries in the future but i cant think of any reason right now.

I am planning to just use a PC power supply to power the charger.

I appreciate the help.

jB
Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Regular

Old 10-14-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Today's high C rated lipos are capable at being charged/discharged at very high current (amp) rates. For someone that has several batteries to run this is not as important, but if you're getting into racing (or even thinking about it) I would suggest a charger such as this with the capability and features you will need.

I've had a 308 Duo for over a year now and have had no issues. There are several capabilities the 308 has that you will not find in the 106B. Also the information is much easier to see with the larger display. Combine that with the capability to charger two different packs individually at the same time.

I wish you good luck in finding a charger that meets your needs.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wrongchannel
I've had a 308 Duo for over a year now and have had no issues. There are several capabilities the 308 has that you will not find in the 106B. Also the information is much easier to see with the larger display. Combine that with the capability to charger two different packs individually at the same time.

I wish you good luck in finding a charger that meets your needs.
Thanks for the input. Can you name some of the functions of the 308 that would be missing from the x06 series, besides the dual charging and large screen?

I am trying to save some $$ for that MT-4.

jB
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I'm not sure what functionality the 308 has over the 106, but I'm going to assume they are basically the same firmware, and mainly offer different charge rates.

I have a 106 and do most of my charging at home before racing, then just top-up at the track (this is 2s only). For my needs this is great, and I have a couple batts per vehicle, so I don't need the fast rate of 30A (I don't even charge at 10A).

If you are in to planes or heli (or plan to), then the 30x series would be what you want.

I personally would get a decent charger (not overboard) that fits my needs, a spend the remainder on a good radio.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by brew99
I'm not sure what functionality the 308 has over the 106, but I'm going to assume they are basically the same firmware, and mainly offer different charge rates.

I have a 106 and do most of my charging at home before racing, then just top-up at the track (this is 2s only). For my needs this is great, and I have a couple batts per vehicle, so I don't need the fast rate of 30A (I don't even charge at 10A).

If you are in to planes or heli (or plan to), then the 30x series would be what you want.

I personally would get a decent charger (not overboard) that fits my needs, a spend the remainder on a good radio.
Yeah, that is how i am looking at it. If its just a matter or power, than i think i can afford to go with a "lesser" unit.

I also have a dynamite passport that charges just fine but doesnt have the fine tuning stuff. So between that and whatever i pick up shortly, i think I should be able to crank them out pretty good

jB
Old 10-14-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by brew99
+1 on this
You wouldnt be any faster with lipo charged at 20A and with RTR radio in hand.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

But, but, which one to get?

jB
Old 10-15-2014, 02:06 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

latest and greatest
Old 10-16-2014, 07:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JayL
latest and greatest
Is there anything the 406 offers that the 306 or 106 dont besides dual charger and display?

jB
Old 10-16-2014, 09:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Jason Baliban
Is there anything the 406 offers that the 306 or 106 dont besides dual charger and display?

jB
I think you mean the 308?

the 106 only charges at 10 amps. The main reason rc car racers like the icharger is to charge at 12amps+

I have read on the rcgroups thread the 406 has better internals. some people have had issues with the 308 dying. My 308 has been great but If I where buying now I would go 406

If you don't care about high amp charge save your money and buy a hitec charger
Old 10-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JayL

If you don't care about high amp charge save your money and buy a hitec charger
now we are are getting to it

Alright, i will do some research on them. Thanks for getting to the point

jB
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here are some specs for you:

Also, The software and the ways in which the 308DUO, 406Duo, and the 4010DUO charge are COMPLETELY different than the 106 or any other chargers in that family.

Advanced adjustability to control every aspect of the batteries charge are possible.

308DUO Special Features

1 The 308DUO uses advanced Synchronous buck-boost DC/DC converter technology, high power,a high current and high-performance power conversion circuit. The maximum charge power capacity is up to 1300W, the maximum charge/discharge current of a channel is up to 30A, and two channels in Synchronous Mode are up to 50A.
2 Each channel supports 8s LiPo, Lilo, LiFe and NiZn batteries, with maximum 1.2A balance current, and adopts a unique balance calculation of internal resistance correction. Supports 1-20s NiMH/NiCd batteries and 1-15s Pb batteries..
3 With 1A/5V USB charging port, convenient for the user to charge mobile phones and PCs.
4 When the channel output connects the battery after the charger powers on, it will start automatically the anti-sparking protection.
5 Intelligent fan control. Sensing internal temperature via the internal temperature sensor, to thereby control the fan speed.
6 Internal temperature protection. When the internal temperature exceeds the Power Reduce temperature, the output power is automatically reduced; and the charger will shut down when temperature exceeds the Shut-down temperature.
7 This charger can save 64 parameters sets and supports the data import/export to SD card
8 A 2.8-inch LCD screen provides rich information including current, voltage, power, capacity, internal resistance, control status, time-consuming and temperature, etc.
9 Multi-discharge features: self-discharge, regenerative to input discharge, and lithium battery extra expanding discharge.
10 Supports measurement for internal resistance of battery offline and online. Can measure not only the internal resistance of the entire battery pack, but also measure the internal resistance of each cell within the lithium battery.
11 The iCharger has protection for reversed polarity (input or output), input voltage/current, battery temperature, charging capacity, overrun time and maximum power etc.
12 Supports upgrading the hardware program by USB port or SD card. The iChargeralso supports the “Logview” software and can display, plot and analyze the charge and discharge data by it. (See detailed information about Logview at the following website: http://www.logview.info )
l Appearance Parameters

Net weight: 0.91kg
Dimension: 171.2×117.8×58.8 ±0.5mm

l Specifications

Input voltage range: 10.0—30.0VDC
Maximum input current limit: <60A, CH1/2<40A
Maximum charge/discharge current: 50A@Syn. Mode 30A@Asyn. Mode
Maximum charge power capacity: 1300W (Channel 800W @input > 23.5V)
Maximum discharge power capacity: 130W (Channel 80W)
Maximum regenerative discharge power capacity: 1300W (Channel 800W)
Maximum extra discharge power capacity: 2100W (Channel 1050W @35V/30A)
Maximum current drain for balancing: 2.4A@Syn. Mode 1.2A@Asyn. Mode
USB charging port: 5V/1A(current-limiting protection 1.2A)

l 308DUO User's Manual download:

http://www.hillrc.com/UploadFiles/308DUO_Manual_en.pdf
Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 137 (98%+)

i have a 308 and luv it or the new dual orion touch screen is pretty nice 10 amp charge max tho but its ac dc