Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Getting back into RC, is all my older gear scrap?? >

Getting back into RC, is all my older gear scrap??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Getting back into RC, is all my older gear scrap??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The old stuff is great to start the kids on.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

That way you don't have to worry about them trashing your good stuff.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Tech Adept

If you have kids that could or would use the stuff.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Unicron
The old stuff is great to start the kids on.
My little guy will be 5 in September. I just got an old B4 off ebay on the cheap for him to start with in the backyard. I told wifie Im not gonna keep buying the toys r us cars that break and cant be fixed..lol i myself have not ran a buggy in 10 years and got an HB D815 coming to bash around with. I just dont know what radio to go with. This new technology is getting to me...lol
Old 08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ThePanda
most older stuff is not worth much of anything now, but it does make great display, or just something to play around with every now and then. I would keep it. The b4, t4 can still be competitive on a club level, as well as the carpet knife and RDX. But most anything to do with NIMH, or brushed motors isn't worth much.
That RDX will run up front in the USGT class with nothing more than changing to 17in/lb springs, spec tires and a new body.

One of the most popular ESC's for blinky/spec racing is now the Hobbywing "Juststock XR10" for $60. It works fine, but you will need to buy or borrow an LCD programming box to set the brakes and punch level.
The class requires a 21.5 motor which is way faster than the old 19T brushed motors. SMC is a good start for batteries and there ESC's are exceptionally good, if you want to go high end right away.
For your old bashers, the Gensace Tattu batteries are super cheap when they have sales. Not as fast as the SMC batteries but usable. Throw those NiMh batteries away and never look back.

1/12 scale hasn't changes that much. Just a 1S lipo and ESC. Most now run Lilac/purple spec tire compound. Usually a 17.5 motor, but check your local track.