R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 01-25-2015, 11:42 PM   #166
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In defense of the Motor Checker numbers, I checked a Trinity D4 13.5 on the device and found it off by just as much (number on the endbell vs reading) so it may just be that Trinity is off. The endbell read 60 degrees and the checker read 48 on the 13.5.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:03 AM   #167
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

my d4 was off by 9 degrees, set at 60 read 51 on motor checker.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #168
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:37 PM   #169
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

dont think itrs the same
articsilber323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #170
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzukihop View Post
Just got my GFORCE MOTOR analyer and have been playing around with it, but had a few questions. Can anyone advise on good or max #'s for amp draw, RPM, timing and noise. I am in need of help with a 25.5 Novak for VTA.
Did you ever get a answer for this, as I would like some idea on numbers as well, seems the thread has gone technical, so if you have any info, please share with some of us
Ecrt.5 on 6s = broken parts
Troubles Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #171
Tech Master

So how high should the free reving amp draw be for a 17.5?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #172
Tech Elite

For a 17.5 2-2.5 amps seems to be a good spot. For a 25.5 I remember seeing a thread a while ago where a VTA racer was setting the timing with a DC current meter, not an actual motor checker, and they said that just under 2 amps seemed to work best as the amp draw really began to spike with any more.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #173
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
For a 17.5 2-2.5 amps seems to be a good spot. .
I know in offroad that lows amps is very slow. I tested one of my team powers 17.5 and it draws 10amps at about 40' timing free revving. I tried it down to about 4 amps and was way off the pace in the car so hate to think what 2 amps would be like.

Motor comes off between 60-70 celsius and have about 1200mah battery drain for a 5 minute race so all seem good and acceleration and top end is right up there. Also confirmed with a friend who runs R1 wurks 17.5 and his draws 10 amps too.

Team Associated / Ace Hobbies / Proline Australia
bru00z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #174
Tech Master

10 amps at free rev seems awful high. I was thinking 2.5-3 amps.
patorz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #175
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Anything lower than 10 amps on my 17.5 team powers for onroad I might as well race it in a 21.5 class. We run min quals and main and with this setting I hardly have fade. I'm logging my rpm after each run and the team powers motor is happy at 17,600-18,300 max rpm.

REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #176
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru00z View Post
I know in offroad that lows amps is very slow. I tested one of my team powers 17.5 and it draws 10amps at about 40' timing free revving. I tried it down to about 4 amps and was way off the pace in the car so hate to think what 2 amps would be like.

Motor comes off between 60-70 celsius and have about 1200mah battery drain for a 5 minute race so all seem good and acceleration and top end is right up there. Also confirmed with a friend who runs R1 wurks 17.5 and his draws 10 amps too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b20btec View Post
Anything lower than 10 amps on my 17.5 team powers for onroad I might as well race it in a 21.5 class. We run min quals and main and with this setting I hardly have fade. I'm logging my rpm after each run and the team powers motor is happy at 17,600-18,300 max rpm.
I have a Team Powers Actinium as well and when testing it on my Motor Checker it had an unusual ability for a 17.5, running it at the lock, which was about 60 degrees of timing, it spun a LOT of RPM and didn't seem to hurt its low-end. Also, at 60 degrees my motor was only drawing about 6.5 amps, not 10 or even 20 amps that my Tekin 17.5 drew at 60 degrees of timing. Each motor is different, if I had tried to run my Orca at 60 degrees it probably would have just given up, it wanted only 32 degrees and any more made it completely lose its low-end.

Offroad is a different animal, mid range and "wind out" on the top end is much more important because low-end grip is limited. You're also on the throttle proportionally less than onroad, giving the motor time to cool in the breeze. If you get the best results cranked, run it cranked.

This is a highly inexact science, and the Team Powers motor has been the oddest one I have tested, but it's a great motor performance wise and responds well to extra timing.

Just a little anecdote though: My Team Powers 17.5 draws 50-100 milliamp hours MORE power to run 50 laps of 1/12 scale than my Trinity 13.5 does to run 54 laps of 1/12 scale... in the same 8:05 range. There is some serious efficiency difference here.

Last edited by DesertRat; 02-05-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM   #177
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I have one left in stock at www.teameam.com I am expecting another large order of them next week. I am the US Distributor for Gforce.

EA
Just took the plunge. Looking forward to seeing if it's worth the beating I'll get when the financial officer sees the credit card bill!

Byrdman
MCKNBRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:41 AM   #178
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKNBRD View Post
Just took the plunge. Looking forward to seeing if it's worth the beating I'll get when the financial officer sees the credit card bill!

Byrdman
Thanks. I'lll get that out tonight.

I got a fresh batch in for anyone needing one.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #179
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Hey Kraig, I'll have to go back and check, but when I did a quick timing check on my mod motor (just did one), the timing readings where very whacked. Not even close to the marks supplied on the motor. The motor on track worked ok so I don't think it was the motor, but didn't get a chance to second check on the meter. The other thing that worries me a little is when doing the timing check, a mod motor spins very high in the timing check mode. I don't think I would ever free rev a mod motor that hard.

Not sure if that answers your question but that's what I've found so far, maybe others are doing mod motors differently though.
I'm going to recant the previous statement. I finally got a chance to check the mod motor in question, and the meter was correct and the motor was very much out of adjustment, a very badly misplaced timing sticker, no less.

It also seems that when a mod motor timing is being checked, it does it faster than when a 17.5 is being checked, so there is less spin time on the rotor, so less likely to over rpm and explode.

Seems to be a pretty decent tool.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #180
Tech Initiate

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Thanks. I'lll get that out tonight.

I got a fresh batch in for anyone needing one.

EA
Awesome! Thanks!

Now I just have to figure out what to do and how to tune the Novak 25.5s I have...

Byrdman
MCKNBRD is offline   Reply With Quote