Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
A.M.B RC2 decoder questions >

A.M.B RC2 decoder questions

A.M.B RC2 decoder questions

Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs
No, the loop does not need to be connected for the computer to find the decoder.

Autoscore should open if installed properly. Did the Autoscore program go through the installation process? Did it place a icon on the desktop? Are you logged in as "administrator"? Try right clicking on the icon, click on "properties" go to "shortcut" and "advances" and check "run as administrator".

You said "So the correct software drivers are there and I can't find the decoder anywhere", what drivers are you referring to? The decoder drivers or the USB to Serial adapters drivers?

I'm not sure where the drivers for the USB to Serial adapter show in Device Manager but "AMB Decoder" will show up under USB Controllers.

Did you download the "AMB/USB drivers" from the Autoscore site? If so did you execute the installation program. If so it should have placed a folder on your C drive named "AMB/USB". When you plug in the decoder for the first time it should pop up the "Found new Hardware Wizard". Select the option to manually install the drivers and browse to the folder on the C drive and select the folder "AMB/USB". If the "Found new Hardware Wizard" doesn't appear go to "Device Manager" and see if it's under "Other Devices". Right click on it and click "Drivers" and choose the option to "Update Drivers" and browse to the AMB/USB folder on your C drive. If done properly the decoder should show up under USB Controllers.

Really appreciate all the advice and patience everyone.
Turns out I hadn't installed the usb drivers for AS. Finally got the decoder to show up under USB devices. Can't tell you what a relief that was. Thank you!

There is an AS icon on the desktop and I've tried running it as an administrator. It still doesn't work tho. It says "Autoscore will not work properly without a computer" then opens and displays an error message (printer error).
I'm guessing I need a printer? The decoder came with one just need to dig it out and power it up. Another night. I'm over the moon for now just seeing the decoder show up on the computer

I was talking about the USB to serial cable drivers before. I didn't know the decoder had its own drivers. Not sure if I need to find them or if they're on the decoder?
Old 12-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The USB Autoscore drivers are probably the exact same drivers you can download off the support section of Mylaps. If you have the decoder showing up in the devices list, you should be good to go.

That's a strange error message. If you don't have a printer installed (installed, not necessarily connected), you should get an error message along the lines "Autoscore requires a printer to run", but if you click OK, it continues.

Autoscore is unfortunately very picky and buggy. Sometimes it installs perfectly and other times you get frm errors that fatal. I remember diagnosing a bug with Bill (the developer). It had something to do with an update he wrote and it not being compatible with the ini file the program used from the previous version I had installed. It took lots of trial and error to figure out it was the .ini file, but eventually Bill wrote a patch to fixs that bug.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry, it was late when I wrote that last bit. The error message says: "Autoscore requires a PRINTER to run properly". When it goes on to open after clicking "OK" it then displays another error message and closes" so I get to see the race car graphic and the "Click anywhere to continue" before it shuts down.

Should I try reinstalling AS? I'll go and dl all the stuff I can find at the B&B site now.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default AMB RC2 vs Mylaps decoder

So I am contemplating on buying a AMB RC2 for around 2k or a Mylaps system with latest firmware for 3.5k. What would you guys recommend. I have been researching, and there seems pros and cons on both.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Swarf, I think I replicated the error you're getting. Install some sort of printer on your system and the error should go away. A printer doesn't need to be physically connected, Windows just needs to know you have a printer available. I think the program is trying to read the default printer and without one, it crashes.

Mhughesjr, I'd personally go with the RC2. The only transponders that don't work are the 3 wire ones that Mylaps came out with that only work on the RC4 system. Sure your racers don't get to log into the mylaps website to get their results, but come on, is that worth the $1500 cost? And if you want you can upgrade the RC2 to the RC4 with Mylaps for $1015. What are you thinking of using the system for?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GerryH
Swarf, I think I replicated the error you're getting. Install some sort of printer on your system and the error should go away. A printer doesn't need to be physically connected, Windows just needs to know you have a printer available. I think the program is trying to read the default printer and without one, it crashes.
You're right! I should've done that right away.
I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound dense. But now I have the decoder working and the software is recognizing the decoder I'm at a loss what to do next.
The AMB manual seems like it's written in broken English. It's talking about silicone and cutting slots in the track, making a perfect seal...
I have looked but is there a simple explanation of connecting/ setting up the detection loop anywhere? I'm guessing Autoscore has some instructions somewhere and I'm going to go and look for that now. I have no idea how to set up the loop

Thank you for your advice!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

I mean, the manual says: Cut slots in the track. What track?
Then it says "put the wires of the detection loop in the slots and cut off the excess length".
When I try to picture that I see 2 wires connected to nothing, covered in silicone and buried in the dirt.
The next step starts with "When all wires are installed" It has up to this point said precisely NOTHING about installing any wires. Only cutting and burying them.
It reads like gibberish. The diagram makes no sense to me. Would someone take a picture of their detection loop please?
Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

http://support.mylaps.com/kb/en/b2b/...l_vJan2010.pdf

On page 5 of the manual the loop shows are R at the center of the loop. That is a resistor you can buy and make your own loops. For our track, we tape the loop to a piece of carpet, then flip it over, and tape it to the carpet we use for racing. You can also make a bridge.

Hope this helps
Old 01-01-2015, 01:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JimmyG
http://support.mylaps.com/kb/en/b2b/...l_vJan2010.pdf

On page 5 of the manual the loop shows are R at the center of the loop. That is a resistor you can buy and make your own loops. For our track, we tape the loop to a piece of carpet, then flip it over, and tape it to the carpet we use for racing. You can also make a bridge.

Hope this helps
Will I need one of these resistors to make the loop work?
Would u have any pics of the loop?
I've got the coax that goes from the decoder to the connection box and some thinner orange stuff that I'm guessing is the loop. There's 2 sections of that.
One side has a bare wire and a male 5mm plug. The other side has a female 5mm plug and a male 5mm plug. I can't find any instructions on how to connect it to the box
Old 01-01-2015, 02:01 AM
Tech Adept

Does the wire in the loop need to be a specific length? I think I see how it's put together. I'll need to cut the wire a little tho
Old 01-01-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Finally got it to work! Thanks so much for the help and advice everyone!