Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A.M.B RC2 decoder questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Cool so that explains the serial to usb cable. I'm still on the original problem of getting that to work. I've got heaps of these that came with it. Are they useless? Will I just have to buy another with its own driver?
I've found the other thread and the drivers mentioned don't work for some reason. Don't know if i'm doing it wrong. Should it just work automatically? Some drivers say they can't be opened and some say they've been installed but the decoder still doesn't show up under devices, decoder wizard or laps free
Old 10-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Here's a picture of a serial port.

Serial Port

It's pretty lame that some timing software makes you use a serial to usb adapter. They obviously don't have the knowledge to code their software for the better protocols like USB and TCPIP.

Anyways like Ed said Laps Free doesn't support USB. Also if it did you would still need the AMBrc2 USB drivers for it to work, Windows will not find a workable driver on it's own. And AMB's USB drivers only support 32bit computers!

Last edited by Bob Malphurs; 10-10-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Lets start from square one, what type of computer do you have? Laptop or desktop? What version of windows??
Old 10-10-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Just came across this interesting bit of info searching for the AMB usb drivers. Autoscore is now freeware and they have the USB drivers on their site to download. I haven't ever seen or used their windows version but used their DOS version years ago. And it supports USB and TCPIP protocols, no serial to usb adapters needed!

AutoScore
Old 10-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

We used to use the DOS version of autoscore too. I tried the windows free version when it came out. It looked messed up. I hope they updated it since then.
Im surprised they went to free. With all of the systems out there, maybe they decided it was the best course.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

I think I'll download and play with it. I strictly only run JLap, but just curious!
Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Regular

We use Alycat. Have no complaints.. Been using it, close to 10 years.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I've been using AutoScore for 16 years +-... its constantly updated... probably have 10 full version updates. I'm not sure how he came up with the original version numbers... but somewhere around 04, 07 he changed it to a date code. This latest version is very recent 14.09.21. .. that's 2014, Sept, 21.

That has worked for me with serial, USB, & since 06 with the rc3 TCP/IP.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JimmyG
Lets start from square one, what type of computer do you have? Laptop or desktop? What version of windows??
Thanks for the input so far everyone. It's a laptop with windows XP.

I've seen that laps free doesn't support USB. All I want to do atm is get the decoder to talk to the PC via the serial port using the serial-to-usb cable.

It must work because it's the same setup the previous owner was using.

I don't understand how to get the drivers for the cable/s I have and don't want to buy another if I can help it as there's 3 or 4 there already.

There's no brand on the serial-to-usb cable. It just looks generic
Old 10-12-2014, 07:54 AM
Tech Master

Maybe if you post a picture of your adapters someone will recognize them and help with drivers.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Regular

You could also contact the old owner, and ask if he remembers, or has the disks for the adapters.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Master

They stopped making the rc decoder in 05,.. then the rc3 decoder came out in 06. .. If you look that thread was started in 08.... was there an earlier version of Lapsfree that worked with USB? IDK?? But there is more then one thread on here with people looking drivers to get Lapsfree to work.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Adept

https://www.facebook.com/36683019999...type=1&theater

These are the adaptors I have.
I asked the previous owner for the drivers and he said he just plugged them in and his computer found them
Old 11-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

I'm still trying to get the decoder to show up in the the Decoder Wizard.
Downloaded and installed a heap of usb-serial drivers. Don't think they're working.

Is there anything else I can try to at least check and see the decoder is working?
Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Every post I have seen where people are looking for drivers has to do with laps free and the rc decoder. .. and I don't think any of them got it to work.. All the other race programs are plug and play... guess the drivers are included. Bob posted a link to a free version of AS... give it a shot... its free. no adapter needed.. just a USB cord.

Been a while but doesn't the rc decoder have a light on the front that flashes when a transponder crosses the loop?? Or is it just a power light... (pretty sure the rc instructions say you can just run the TP near the decoder and it will pick it up... without a loop). When bought new the rc & rc3 come with a headset, you will get a tone when a TP crosses the loop.

Wondered if you ever got this to work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.