Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Radio quality question >

Radio quality question

Radio quality question

Old 08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Radio quality question

Today I raced my on-road car for the first time on an outdoor track. The distance from the drivers stand to the other side of the track was probably a bit further than any other track I've raced on. I was having problems with the car losing the radio signal on the far side of the track.

I was using a spektrum Dx3c transmitter and a SR300 receiver.

I was told by a couple people that my radio was of a lower quality than others and that was most likely the problem.

1) Have others experienced that?

2) I'm looking for suggestions of transmitters and receivers that would be better quality and eliminate that problem.

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Id be surprised if this was really a radio issue, unless you were running on a 1000' diameter track.

Is your receiver antenna in good shape? Is it properly mounted and the antenna exposed properly. Batteries in the TX ok?

What exactly were the symptoms?

Obviously you can spend money on new tx - Airtronics, Futaba, etc. But many people get away with RTR radios at tracks all over the country, and these are not as good as what you have.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

It all depends on distance, yes Spektrum seems to have lower range but it could also be a brown out due to low rx voltage (BEC issue) or low tx battery, the antenna may be damaged, it could really be any number of things.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Spektrum are susceptible to brown outs, particularly with savox servos. You need to try an external bec or glitch buster to check. Alternatively invest in an Airtronics mt-4. You won't be sorry you did!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you are using NiMH batteries that is a large part of the issue. They run at a voltage lower than what Spektrum likes and it will cut the range. Or at least that is the case I have seen on the newer models that have 4 batteries in them.

I use NiZN in my setup and can drive the car to point that it difficult to tell which way it is pointed unless it is moving.

If you were having brown out issues on the receiver it would not be limited to the edge of your range, it would happen all the time.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:05 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the input thus far. Its very helpful.

The brownout concept may be accurate. The car would be fine and then occassionally the signal would cut out temporarily. Then after a few seconds (usually after the car hit something the signal would come back.

It may be helpful also to say that this was in a one cell WGT pan car. So perhaps that plays into the low voltage thing?

I did change transmitter batteries. They went from reading 5.3 volts to 6 volts and it was the same, if not worse.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Has the esc got an internal BEC booster? You need to check the BEC output of the ESC into receiver. Spektrums are very fussy with supply stability and voltage.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Has the esc got an internal BEC booster? You need to check the BEC output of the ESC into receiver. Spektrums are very fussy with supply stability and voltage.
That I do not know. I'll have to look into it. I do know that it is a hobbywing Justock ESC.

Are other brands less fussy than Spektrum?