Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are high end radio worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Are high end radio worth it?

I'm Just wondering if its worth it to buy a high end radio for the extra adjustments? Or staying with the stock radio that comes with an e revo brushless, or a rc8.2e rtr? Or When you buy a high end ESC do the adjustments on the esc cover what the radio does and then some.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Kind of depends on what you are doing. If just bashing or not seriously racing, and you are OK with the limitations of stock radios (having to have 2 different radios for your cars, AA batteries, limited adjustments from radio, generally cheap feel) you can likely stick with what you have. High end radios allow you to have lipo or life batteries in the tx for longer run times, and allow more adjustments and the controlling of multiple cars from same tx. Often you can set some items from your ESC, but for sure you have quicker, and different adjustments from your tx.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I would go with a "mid level radio" unless you can see a use for the adjustments that come with a higher spec radio. My minimum requirement is that it has a screen though.

Radios such as the futaba 3pl, 3pmx and the airtronics mt4 are all radios that I would go for. Radios from spectrum seem to be getting much better, but still seem a little "tinny" compared to the other brands.

If you want and can afford a top of the line radio, they will reward you with years of use. They do have the downside being that receivers are typically a bit more expensive than the cheaper radios of the same brand.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In very little words , YES.
Especially if you race
Old 08-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if you plan on staying with the hobby it's definitely worth it. buy a used one is a good way to do it on a budget. then you'll realize how terrible the stock radios were.