Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba Rx/Tx compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Futaba Rx/Tx compatibility?

I have a cheap 3pl futaba transmitter for my 22. It's simple, but, works fine for me.

I'm thinking about adding another buggy to my stable, so I need to buy another receiver.

Am I correct in thinking that ANY Futaba FHSS Rx will work?

I see FHSS, T-FHSS, S-FHSS in Futabas lineup. I have a R2004GF, thinking about getting the R204GF-E. it is a bit smaller, so may work better in a 22-4.

Am I right, or should I change direction?

ETA, I like to run Savox servos (1257/1258). I think I remember them being known as power hogs. Would that sway my choice one way or another?

And while we're on the subject... What is the biggest difference between FASST and FHSS. Is there any solid reason why I would want to upgrade to FASST, instead of staying with FHSS?

Last edited by CharlieHo; 08-04-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The GF-E works with both S-FHSS and regular FHSS so it will be a great choice. I acutally use one in my buggy.

Savox servos have issues by drawing too much power - more than the ESC's BEC can output. The actual receiver has little to do with when those cause brownouts as the receiver just passes the power through but some brands are more prone to it than others, i.e. with Spektrum radios it can be a big issue, Futaba is known to be one of the more "Savox-resistant" brands. Basically, the less current/voltage level the receiver needs to maintain signal means there will is a higher probability the signal will be maintained when the Savox is feeding like a beast without having to add a glitch-buster or external BEC.

I wouldn't upgrade to FASST ever - the receivers cost too much. However, if you think you are getting perceptible lag on FHSS, an upgrade to T/S-FHSS like the 4PL(S) uses will get you to within a couple milliseconds of FASST specs for way less cost.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks Mark. I thought I had it, but, wasn't sure.

Yeah, I've never had an issue with the Savox 1257 in my 22, but, I do have a capacitor plugged into it. Hopefully the same holds true with this setup.

Thanks for your opinion on the FASST vs FHSS, also. I may upgrade transmitters at some point, so I figured if I were to go FASST, I maybe should do it now. Glad I can save some coin and upgrade at a later time if I feel the need.