R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Like Tree1Likes

Old 10-26-2014, 07:03 PM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Exclamation

Finally got the 114 firmware to work ..

Had to install & uninstall the Motolyser Software about 5 times and it loaded without any of the errors that you normally get when installing the software... what a pain in the ass!
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #62
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
In this case
Run upgrade tool as Admin
Fella at IIC had this very same issue with DFU not installing
I'm the only who uses my computer with Windows 8 and I run everything as the ADMIN and it still doesn't work at least the 6 times I tried before I gave up and went to my old laptop with XP.

BTW I did get a reply back from Motorlyser, but they just sent be a screen shot of the webpage showing which button to push to (supposedly) get the 114 firmware. I did reply that it didn't work on any of my computers (XP, 7, or 8). Also mentioned the problems with just getting the upgrade tool to install with windows 8 and suggested they read the posts here to see what their customers are saying about their Features Upgrade Tool.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 AM   #63
Tech Fanatic

Default Hope MOTORLYSER reads this

Since this thread was started nearly 3 months ago (Aug 1st) there had been 41 posts. Since my post (#42) 2 days ago asking for help getting the 114 firmware, there have been 21 posts about issues with uploading the Motorlyser Feature Upgrade Tool, getting the updated firmware from their website, and how to resolve those problems.

I think I struck a nerve with Motorlyser customers! If you are unsatisfied, I strongly suggest you go to the Motorlyser website and send them an email expressing the issues you are having with their Feature Upgrade Tool and the issues with getting the updated firmware. Hopefully they cannot/will not ignore a flood of negative responses from their customers.

Personally I was 100% satisfied with my Motorlyser until I tried to update it with the new 114 firmware - damn you TORG its all your fault hahaha!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #64
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
I'm the only who uses my computer with Windows 8 and I run everything as the ADMIN and it still doesn't work at least the 6 times I tried before I gave up and went to my old laptop with XP.

BTW I did get a reply back from Motorlyser, but they just sent be a screen shot of the webpage showing which button to push to (supposedly) get the 114 firmware. I did reply that it didn't work on any of my computers (XP, 7, or 8). Also mentioned the problems with just getting the upgrade tool to install with windows 8 and suggested they read the posts here to see what their customers are saying about their Features Upgrade Tool.
My pc and the users at IIC also had win8
Not sure why run as admin was necessary, but it did resolve the issue with the others I've helped so far

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #65
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Personally I was 100% satisfied with my Motorlyser until I tried to update it with the new 114 firmware - damn you TORG its all your fault hahaha!
X2
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 AM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by torg View Post
my 21.5 R1 gave magnet symmetry of 0
Thanks again TORG for putting the 114 firmware out there so it can be downloaded. Really like 114 now that its in my Motorlyser. Only addition to my instructions would be to note that the firmware upload has been completed with the Motorlyser stops blinking.

My R1 rotor didn't do quite as well as your, the symmetry reading was 14 - one of the worst of my motors. My ORCA at 2 was the best so far. Haven't done the motors in the cars.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:26 PM   #67
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Is it possible to roll back to 113?

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #68
Tech Regular

re-tested some of my motors with 114 firmware

my LRP X20 21.5 gave me a low RPM error during condition test, very odd.
my Reedy 13.5 gave a sensor sequence error with endbell at 40 (reading of 53), but not at endbell at 20 (reading of 31).
my R1 21.5 won't turn any more, not sure what happened to it. Need to get a new sensor board I think... never ran it in my car, maybe overtightened by accident?
Surprised to see my non-MMM speedpassion being +20 off (yellow board is +30) it read at 53*
ORCA RX3 17.5 tested for the first time, it read 0 at the - mark and 50 at the + mark, factory setting was 28
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 AM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

Way too much headache guys... Don't do firmware updates...
Good tool to use after mms and rms tests, but you'll need thousands of rotors and stators to make a supermotor... It's probably better for most racers to buy motors from a trusted tuner.....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 11-02-2014 at 07:12 AM.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #70
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Way too much headache guys... Don't do firmware updates...
Good tool to use after mms and rms tests, but you'll need thousands of rotors and stators to make a supermotor... It's probably better for most racers to buy motors from a trusted tuner.....
For a super motor yes, but for a better motor no! all you need is two or more
Old 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

JW2, just curious, so other than confirming that you can have variances in the location of the sensors on the timing board per phase, what other information can you gleam from this device? Are you able to use it as a in-line amp meter? If running a class that is not specific to a set timing mark on a motor, how critical is it to have the sensors in perfect alignment? If the sensors are out have you been able to tell how this effects the performance of the motor on the track or on a dyno?

Thanks
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #72
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
JW2, just curious, so other than confirming that you can have variances in the location of the sensors on the timing board per phase, what other information can you gleam from this device? Are you able to use it as a in-line amp meter? If running a class that is not specific to a set timing mark on a motor, how critical is it to have the sensors in perfect alignment? If the sensors are out have you been able to tell how this effects the performance of the motor on the track or on a dyno?

Thanks
Yes in line (but no load) amp draw, rpm, KV and also the new Rotor symmetry test gives an indication of how balanced the rotor is between + and -. As far as the effect of not having the sensors perfectly aligned, I'm not an engineer; but TORG attached a paper to one of his posts here that describes the effect of sensor alignment.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #73
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post

Thanks
I copied the PDF I posted earlier about misalignment of hall sensors to my public share

The most testing I have done so far is five of the same motor, Tamiya #54275 TBLMS-01S which are none-adjustable. Reading similar RPM and KV, but one of them was 0.2s quicker (on a ~13s lap track). Here's a picture of three of them:

The other two motors were tested on different days, one was really sick and one had much lower amp draw but worse asymmetry (in the twenties).

So far I've seen "bigger problems" between motors than just misaligned sensors. I think I need to order a few more sensor boards from a manufacturer to see how/if there is a change. And I'll need to hand over the radio to someone else, because frankly I'm not that good or consistent a driver.

I'm interested to see/learn about:
how/if the readings degrade potentially over time.
Where/if an "amp draw wall" appears as I adjust endbell.

Got a reply from Motolyser about my low rpm/sequence errors:
"- You get the low rpm because the motor did not ramp up fast enough. nothing wrong with your motor, just my limits are set to tight. I'll add that to my todo list for next release.

- When getting close to 60 degrees, especially at no load the rotor starts bouncing on the magnetic field due to the high timing., causing multiple triggers from the sensor causing the Motolyser error handling to detect a fault. As you decrease the timing this problem disapears, as you have noticed."
torg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #74
Tech Fanatic

TORG what is the magnet 3/3 reading? I see it in the 114 Users Guide, which also shows a reading of 3/3, but the instructions don't talk to it. Is 3/3 good, bad, or indifferent?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:55 PM   #75
Tech Adept

http://www.scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
in this web you can check the information for the motor!