Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
what is the purpose of power supplies? >

what is the purpose of power supplies?

what is the purpose of power supplies?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default what is the purpose of power supplies?

May seem like a newb question but what are they for. I run a Hitec X4 and have no issues even when charging and balancing 4 batteries at a time. Even if I did need more push say in order to charge a few batteries really quick, would a power supply make that possible? I would think the charger would still need to be capable of pushing the power.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Power supplies do just that, provide the charger with the proper voltage and amperage requirements. All AC only chargers have a built it power supply, but are very limited in capacity due to their size.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So in simpler words since my charger has built in power supply then an external would really serve no purpose or would it make my X4 stronger therefore capable of charging bigger and faster?
Old 07-13-2014, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

If you look at most AC powered chargers, they rarely go over 7amps. The power supply within the charger isn't capable of much more due to its size, and also to keep the cost down. If you have a ac/dc charger it may say on it 5amps ac, 7 or 10amps dc, but not all the time. The reason you want a separate power supply is 1). to run other things besides your charger (fans etc) 2). To use a higher amp charger (10amps +).
Progressive RC has a nice tool, that if you want a charger, it will tell you the min supply you need.
A lot of people use AC chargers for convenience. I use IChargers, and they require a separate ps. For me, Ive been doing it this way since I got into the hobby 22 years ago.
The other question is, Why charge higher than 1C?? Performance.. The newer batteries can be balanced charged at higher C rates. If I wanted too, my Fantom pack can be charged at 5C, but there have been times I charged at 3C (to charge it faster and to have more performance). The 3C rate is 19.5 amps.
I don't play around in the yard, I go to race tracks and race.. If you are just someone that is playing in the backyard, you wont need anything else.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A lot of it stems from old school racing. Most times you just got together in a parking lot or field, threw down a track and raced. There was no power available so everything was charged off of your real car battery, 12v. Rather than have to buy more chargers, as it was plausible to have 2 or 3, just get a power supply. It can stay at home and the chargers are the only thing you need. Fast forward 30+ years and even most of the offroad tracks are serviced with power and water so all you need is a 120v charger. I have 3 power supplies and 5 chargers between my son and myself.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Champion

If you have a Hitec X4 AC Plus, and it serves your needs, there is no power advantage with a separate power supply. The built in supply will run it at full power if I'm not mistaken.

As mentioned this is not true of all AC/DC chargers.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dave H
If you have a Hitec X4 AC Plus, and it serves your needs, there is no power advantage with a separate power supply. The built in supply will run it at full power if I'm not mistaken.

As mentioned this is not true of all AC/DC chargers.
Bringing and old thread back from the dead. But I just bought a X4 plus and a separate 30A power supply. Did I just waste money on a power supply I don't really need? I don't really need to power anything else while at the track.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, if it's an AC/DC charger I suppose you dont need a separate ps..
Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

The ports of your charger can hndle 50W a port, the maximum needed PSU is 200 watt and is already provided within the charger. So yes, no need for an external PSU.

If you wonder why there is still a 12v external PSU connection then you must think further, more like the use on a car battery
Old 05-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool, thanks for the info. It seems everyday im learning something. Just recently made the switch to electric from nitro so its still new to me.

Anyone interested in buying a brand new 30A power supply?
Old 05-30-2015, 01:01 AM
Tech Elite

Generally speaking....there are 2 types of chargers..

-The AC/DC ones, that are slow to charge big packs. Their internal power supply do not allow more then 7A (generally), most 5A.
-The DC ones, that require a dedicated Power Supply, are the powerfull ones that could charge at more then 30A at once.

It just depends on what level you are at RC.

Newbies get a off the wall charger say 50W.
Racers or Serious bashers get a power supply of 500w and a charger with no less then 300w of charging power.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:56 AM
Tech Lord

But now you are only thinking of a charger.

Then there are Tire/engine heaters, cooling fans, 12v tire truer and many other electronics running on 12v. Then you do need a power supply.