Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Novak Havoc Pro ESC burned after less than an hour... >

Novak Havoc Pro ESC burned after less than an hour...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Havoc Pro ESC burned after less than an hour...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Novak Havoc Pro ESC burned after less than an hour...

Hi guys,

Today my Novak ESC burned after 5mns of running while I used it less than an hour since I installed.

It was installed in a Slash 4x4 with a 8.5T Ballistic motor and until it suddenly almost caught fire it was running perfectly well, no overheating of neither the ESC or the motor.
The original Velineon was heating way more but without any consequence. I just didn't like the sluggishness randomly when going from reverse to forward. It was behaving sometime like going from forward to reverse, breaking then waiting then going forward again.

I sent a warranty request to Novak, we'll see if the Made in USA has a customer service like it is supposed to have.

I've read in different forums that the support is good but that their Made in USA stuff are having a lot of quality issues...

I'll keep you informed about it. It's always interesting to share this type of experience, good or bad.

Today Ballistic went Burnistic!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up Novak support

Just to update that Novak answered me very quickly as well as RCMart where I bought it.

They asked me to send it back and recommended to send the motor as well if I couldn't test it. The motor seems ok at least in sensor-less but it doesn't work in sensored with the Velineon VXL-3s even with the sensor harness plugged in. I don't have any other ESC to test that.

Views of the damages on the ESC

Unfortunately I cannot post the smell which after few days is still strong!

I hope that the one they will send me back won't have a similar problem...

For sure a lot of amps have been pulled out of the battery (a 6000mAh 30C lipo) to produce that, I think I was lucky that the truck itself didn't catch fire as for few seconds there were some bright flames inside it! Too bad no one took a picture of the black smoke that came out of the truck, that was a very scale action!!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy Follow-up

After few exchanges with Novak I still don't know if I must send the motor or not!

Novak says that Traxxas ESC doesn't work well with sensors, RCMart says Novak motors work with any ESC...

I asked Novak why would they charge shipping back for a default in their product, they didn't feel necessary to answer!
So I'll send it back to RCmart that kindly takes charge of the return shipping.

In the mean time I ordered an Hobbyking X-Car 120A with a battery order, it costs the same price that Novak is asking to ship back the replacement. Many people I know are using it and it doesn't seem to burn after 5mns with a cold motor!

Wait and see when I get the replacement.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

You should have just sent it back.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From what i've heard from people in person and on the 'net, Novak just isn't what it used to be. I have one of the first Novak GTB esc's, a Velocity 5.5t motor and a Ballistic 17.5t motor and they've worked flawlessly. As for their newer stuff I've heard there are some reliability issues.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by xrayracer1
From what i've heard from people in person and on the 'net, Novak just isn't what it used to be. I have one of the first Novak GTB esc's, a Velocity 5.5t motor and a Ballistic 17.5t motor and they've worked flawlessly. As for their newer stuff I've heard there are some reliability issues.
+1

Their motors are actually pretty good, and do seem to be trouble free... But their escs do seem to puff at unexpectedly high rates.

(I would use their motors no problem)

Last edited by ThePanda; 07-15-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Wait a sec... You were running a 540 ballistic race motor in a 4x4 slash? Just do to that I'm surprised they took it at all. That is bound to overheat at some point.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
Wait a sec... You were running a 540 ballistic race motor in a 4x4 slash? Just do to that I'm surprised they took it at all. That is bound to overheat at some point.
+1
Old 07-16-2014, 06:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Not to mention the thread title said "Havoc Pro SC" and the picture is of a Kinetic. Clearly a newbie that had no clue.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Talking Kinetic is under the Havoc Pro SC sticker!

Originally Posted by ta_man
Not to mention the thread title said "Havoc Pro SC" and the picture is of a Kinetic. Clearly a newbie that had no clue.
Yes I'm a newbie, but the pro that you seem to be should know that below the Havoc Pro SC sticker (that burned) there is this Kinetic marking

Quand on sait pas y vaut mieux tourner sa langue sept fois dans sa bouche avant de parler!

French quote!

Last edited by orouit; 07-17-2014 at 08:49 AM. Reason: error
Old 07-17-2014, 04:30 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Motor was totally cold

The original motor of the slash is a 540 but I noticed it's a bit longer.

And if you read properly you would see that I said that the motor WAS TOTALLY COLD. In 5mns it didn't have time to heat. I used this setting a week before for more than an hour and verified that it was not heating like the original Velineon does (but without burning!)

Anyway I replaced it with a Hobbyking and a trackstar (540...) that seem to be very comfortable at powering the Slash, which is what I should have done in the first place.

The Ballistic motor which doesn't work with the VXL ESC in sensor mode works fine with the Hobbyking X-Car, but I'm using the Trackstar motor with it right now keeping the Novak to use with their ESC.
If it is that fragile, I will use it with a 1/10 buggy 2WD, that should keep it safe...

I may be a newbie with RC cars but I'm not with electronics, those systems are supposed to shutdown when overheating as long as they are designed properly, and so long before the power transistor could catch fire or explode!

What seems to have happened is a sudden short-circuit of the transistor itself, not giving any chance to the protection circuit to avoid the damage.

Last edited by orouit; 07-17-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Tech Champion

You can't use a 540motor in a slash 4x4 unless it is a 4 pole motor. The stock motor in the slash is not a 540 motor, but more of a 540 long motor.

The esc is a Novak, so not sure if that was user error or just it being a Novak, but the motor is not to be used in the slash. After a while it will burn, and there is no way it is anywhere near to what the velineone on can do.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Lightbulb good info

You can't use a 540motor in a slash 4x4 unless it is a 4 pole motor. The stock motor in the slash is not a 540 motor, but more of a 540 long motor.

The esc is a Novak, so not sure if that was user error or just it being a Novak, but the motor is not to be used in the slash. After a while it will burn, and there is no way it is anywhere near to what the velineone on can do.
I take note as I surely noticed that the original motor is longer than 540 I have. I'll use the Novak in a 1/10 buggy, that should be safe.

So far the Trackstar is not overheating but I'll check it regularly. If it overheat then I'll get a 550 that should fit as the X-Car ESC is smaller than the Traxxas.

Thks for the comment.